 Local / United Kingdom / 1391
Re: Tower Building Trial
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Fri, 8 Oct 1999 17:46:45 GMT

On Thu, 7 Oct 1999, Liam Parnell (<Pine.LNX.4.04.9910071941010.5242-1000
00@ukonline.co.uk>) wrote at 18:44:08

Tower Building Trial

Time taken:           2.5 hours
Cups of tea consumed: 2
Bricks used:          ~500
Footprint:            40x40
Height:               14 bricks

Definitely possible on the day, then :-)

I can fit my head inside it.

Err. Why?

40x40 is quite a considerable size.

Yeah. I was in a quandary about this. Perhaps another size might be an
idea for the brick-poor. Say 30x30. This would require a transition
section, and the top would be smaller.

Hmmm. I can go for this. If anyone brings the smaller size, we'll build
the transition section on the day.

After a couple of layers I had used up my best bricks, then I started
to use the cellulose acetate.  Then I went for the discoloured and chewed
bricks.  Consequently the section is not consistent in colour and the
gaps between bricks are a bit unsightly.

Thus a concern might be that this size is too much for the brick poor.
Although the purchase of a couple of Basic brick sets would achieve a
section of this size.

Any excuse :-)

The join between sections should definitely NOT be contiguous studs to
tubes or you will not get them apart without Lego flying all over the
room.

That's what I was afraid of. I had visions of a 15' tower of LEGO
crashing across LEGO enthusiasts busy trading, causing chaos and rioting
as people scrabbled to recover bit of *their* section :-)

--
Tony Priestman