 Local / United Kingdom / 1376
1375  |  1377
Subject:
Tower Building Trial
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Thu, 7 Oct 1999 18:44:08 GMT

Tower Building Trial

Time taken:           2.5 hours
Cups of tea consumed: 2
Bricks used:          ~500
Footprint:            40x40
Height:               14 bricks

I constructed the section using the classic bricklayer style using
2x4s.  3 of the walls were 2 studs in width, one was 4 studs.
It was mainly red with some blue and yellow details.
The walls were solid, but the interior was entirely hollow.

I can fit my head inside it.

40x40 is quite a considerable size.
After a couple of layers I had used up my best bricks, then I started
to use the cellulose acetate.  Then I went for the discoloured and chewed
bricks.  Consequently the section is not consistent in colour and the
gaps between bricks are a bit unsightly.

Thus a concern might be that this size is too much for the brick poor.
Although the purchase of a couple of Basic brick sets would achieve a
section of this size.

The structure stiffened up after the fourth layer, by the end it had
quite a solid mass, despite no reinforcment between walls.
The section has slight flexibility, but nothing to cause concern.

The good news is that 40x40 looks nice and chunky.  I can guarantee that
once they start to stack up, it will look very nice indeed.

The join between sections should definitely NOT be contiguous studs to
tubes or you will not get them apart without Lego flying all over the
room.

--
Liam.
http://web.ukonline.co.uk/liamp/

"Do something.  If it doesn't work, do something else.  No idea is too crazy."
- Jim Hightower, 1986.