 Local / Singapura / *61 (-20)
Subject:
GBC in the Classroom
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.edu, lugnet.loc.sg
Date:
Sat, 24 Mar 2007 01:10:58 GMT

We've just had our first LEGO Engineering Conference in Singapore with Prof
Chris Rogers as the Keynote speaker.
http://lsl.nie.edu.sg/lego.htm

Among other things I had the opportunity to give three presentations, of which
my favourite is the one on "GBC - A Fun Way to Learn Maths, Science and D&T".
Specifically I detailed a Rolling Ball Display Clock and its relevance to Maths,
Science and D&T.

My other presentations were on "Teaching Children Proportional Control using
ROBOLAB 2.9" and needless to say one on "Evaluating LEGO Air Compressors with
RCX and Control Lab". The models were also on display.

The slides can be found here for educators who might find them useful for their
classes.

Enjoy

CSSoh

Subject:
LEGO documentary on TV this Saturday (Hong Kong)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.loc.hk, lugnet.loc.cn, lugnet.loc.tw, lugnet.loc.jp, lugnet.loc.sg
Date:
Wed, 27 Sep 2006 13:42:08 GMT

Hi, everyone...

A documentary called “Lovemarks-LEGO” will be broadcast for the first time this weekend. I was originally told it was going to be a full-length film about people’s passions towards brands like LEGO, IKEA, Starbucks (etc), but it seems it has been shortened to a half hour and will deal only with LEGO. (Maybe?)

Lovemarks - LEGO
Channel 51, Horizon
Saturday September 30th
8:30 p.m. (20:30)
Hong Kong

The documentary was filmed by Fuji TV in Hong Kong, but it may also run in other countries that have Fuji TV, or on extended satellite networks.

Last year, the filmmakers filmed a live model-build and interviewed both Nathan Sawaya and I as part of the documentary. They said they’d also interviewed other folks around the world, including folks from TLG.

Sean
- - -
LEGO Certified Professional
www.seankenney.com

Subject:
NJRC 2006 - Robots to go into water
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.loc.sg
Date:
Mon, 21 Aug 2006 04:35:57 GMT

This year’s National Junior Robotics Competition (NJRC) 2006 is more exciting
than ever. The organizers at the Singapore Science Centre has set some devilish
missions including one that requires your robot to literally go into water. To a
depth of 5 cm. Sounds like Mission Impossible?

Not for the students who make up the 397 Primary and 342 Secondary school teams
that are taking part in the competition.

http://www.science.edu.sg/ssc/events.jsp?type=17&root=0&parent=0&cat=317

The Mindstorms RCX, motors and sensors are about to be tested to the point of
destruction.

A good time to get the NXT?

CSSoh
http://fifth-r.com/

where Robotics is the fifth R,
after Reading, wRiting, aRithmetic, and computeR

Subject:
Debut of NXT robot in a Singapore robotics competition
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.nxt, lugnet.loc.sg
Date:
Sun, 23 Jul 2006 04:23:21 GMT

Among other types of robots, Telok Kurau Secondary School fielded an autonomous NXT robot in the finals of the East Zone Robotics Challenge 2006 which was held at the East Zone Science Carnival @ Victoria Junior College on 21 Jul 2006.

The NXT robot was able to follow the black line and go up the ramp to cross over to other other side of the playing field. This is the first time that a NXT robot has shown its prowess in a public robotics competition in Singapore.

Here the NXT is just getting onto the bridge. The ‘river’ is made of green beans.

More pics here: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=195467

The EZRC 2006 is a robotics challenge for Primary and Secondary school students mainly in the Eazt Zone of Singapore. The purpose of the Challenge is to provide students with opportunities to exercise their creativity and problem-solving skills in the field of robotics. Details are at their web site: http://www.vjc.moe.edu.sg/S&Tcentre/programmes/robotics_challenge/robotics_challenge2006.htm

The EZRC 2006 is a robotics battle of sorts. Teams of 4 students have to build and program a team of one or more robots to compete against another team, with the aim of knocking over or capturing target objects in the opposing team’s sector, and also to defend the team’s target objects from being knocked over by the opposing team’s robot(s). The robots could be autonomous or remotely controlled via IR or radio control.

A wide variety of robotics hardware was seen at the EZRC 2006 but the NXT was clearly the latest of the lot. Remote control via Bluetooth is certainly an option in the near future.

Although Telok Kurau Secondary School did not win any prizes, it put up a commendable performance in that all 3 of its rookie teams got into the finals with just about 2 months introduction to robotics. And so they have survived their baptism of fire and now look forward to their next battle.

CSSoh

Subject:
Mitchel Resnick & NXT were here
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.loc.sg
Date:
Tue, 6 Jun 2006 01:01:55 GMT

Finally got a chance to have a closeup look at the much talked about Mindstorms
NXT when Prof Mitchel Resnick (of MIT Media Lab) was here for the LEGO
MINDSTORMS Education (LME) NXT Regional Pre-Launch at the Singapore Science
Centre.

http://fifth-r.com/laosoh/robots/NXT/nxt_launch.htm

First impressions: the bots look rather bulky, don't think they will be able to
negotiate the narrower parts of the FLL 2005 field. And the line following was
kinda slow. Fun though.

Gotta have them, of course! Earliest delivery expected in August 2006.

CSSoh

Subject:
Presentation on Vignettes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build.vignette, lugnet.loc.sg
Date:
Sat, 29 Oct 2005 12:05:37 GMT

Hi,

I did a brief presentation on Vignettes for my club recently and felt that it would be good to share this with everyone.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/wytow86/Vignettes/vig.ppt

Enjoy! =)

Re: Welcome Home,Daddy!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people.teens, lugnet.build.vignette, lugnet.loc.sg
Date:
Sun, 18 Sep 2005 23:37:58 GMT

Very nice, and for a good cause too.

As far as critiques go, I have none, except for the photography. Flash + Lego = Pain. Try turning off the flash and using natural light, or reflecting the flash off of a surface (ala those people that come and take your school photos).

-Stefan-

Re: The LEGO Colosseum Project
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.sg, lugnet.build.ancient, lugnet.build.sculpture, lugnet.events
Date:
Sun, 18 Sep 2005 03:46:47 GMT

In lugnet.loc.sg, Erik Olson wrote:
   In lugnet.loc.sg, Wee Yeh Tow wrote:
   Hello LEGO fans,

Last weekend, members from a Singapore Lego Fan Group, S0937FG, came together to recreate 2 quarants of the Roman Colosseum out of LEGO bricks. The installation was done on-site in the Asian Civilisation Museum(ACM),Singapore.The structure is approximately 1.8m long and 1.5m high and took 2 days to complete.

The completed structure

That is nice! Were there any special techniques used to build the curves? It does look like regular square grid - and large enough to be smooth.

-Erik

Hi Erik,

I’m not too sure about that because I was too busy building =P, but I managed to get an answer from our designer who happens to be a trained architect =)

“There were no special techniques required, but I first counted and measure the size of the intended building, then worked out a scale.. from there, the architectural plans were then shrunk to proportion an in this case was either 1:10, or 1:20... i cannot exactly remebered...

Next was to draw grid lines of 1 stud intervals over the scaled plans, then basic lego bricks are pieced to achieve the lare curve....this method is also used for the colonades and grand stand seats....” -Eugene Tan(Designer,The LEGO Colosseum Project)

Hope it answers your questions.

Wee Yeh

Subject:
Welcome Home,Daddy!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people.teens, lugnet.build.vignette, lugnet.loc.sg
Date:
Sun, 18 Sep 2005 00:35:01 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Hi all,

Here is my first vignette attempt. Not much, but I hope you all will like it . The purpose of this MOC is to commemorate the Yellow Ribbon Project launched in Singapore this month. http://www.yellowribbon.org.sg

Re: The LEGO Colosseum Project
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.sg, lugnet.build.ancient, lugnet.build.sculpture, lugnet.events
Date:
Sat, 17 Sep 2005 23:58:29 GMT

In lugnet.loc.sg, Wee Yeh Tow wrote:
   Hello LEGO fans,

Last weekend, members from a Singapore Lego Fan Group, S0937FG, came together to recreate 2 quarants of the Roman Colosseum out of LEGO bricks. The installation was done on-site in the Asian Civilisation Museum(ACM),Singapore.The structure is approximately 1.8m long and 1.5m high and took 2 days to complete.

The completed structure

That is nice! Were there any special techniques used to build the curves? It does look like regular square grid - and large enough to be smooth.

-Erik

Subject:
The LEGO Colosseum Project
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.sg, lugnet.build.ancient, lugnet.build.sculpture, lugnet.events
Date:
Sat, 17 Sep 2005 23:40:52 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Hello LEGO fans,

Last weekend, members from a Singapore Lego Fan Group, S0937FG, came together to recreate 2 quarants of the Roman Colosseum out of LEGO bricks. The installation was done on-site in the Asian Civilisation Museum(ACM),Singapore.The structure is approximately 1.8m long and 1.5m high and took 2 days to complete.

The completed structure

Wee Yeh Member, S0937FG

Re: Out of the shadows....finally
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people.teens, lugnet.loc.sg
Date:
Mon, 29 Aug 2005 12:01:59 GMT

In lugnet.people.teens, Stefan Garcia wrote:
Welcome!

Snazzy fire truck.  :D

-Stefan-

Thank You Stefan!

Just to share a little bit more on the vehicle...It is officially known as the
Light Fire Attack Vehicle (LFAV) [or more affectionately- the Red Rhino, because
it looks like one :P].A locally designed vehicle,it's just a third of the size
of a normal fire truck and it is suitable for fighting fires in places where
regular fire trucks can't reach.

Re: Out of the shadows....finally
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people.teens, lugnet.loc.sg
Date:
Mon, 29 Aug 2005 03:08:06 GMT

Welcome!

Snazzy fire truck.  :D

-Stefan-

Subject:
Out of the shadows....finally
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people.teens, lugnet.loc.sg
Date:
Sat, 27 Aug 2005 03:35:40 GMT

Hi everyone,

Been lurking around LUGNET for ages and it's high time that I "de-lurked" so
here goes...I am 19 year old LEGO fan (yup, I'm over 18 but I'm still a teen at
heart.=D ) staying in
Singapore. My current specific LEGO interest are Town MOCs and
Vignettes. Here's a portfolio of my work:[Link:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=wytow86]. I am intersted to know
more LEGO fans from around the world. You can reach me at the above email
address.

Keep Playing,
Wee Yeh

Re: Searching for Larry Pieniazek!!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people, lugnet.loc.sg, lugnet.loc.nl, lugnet.org.us.cedarlug
Date:
Wed, 9 Mar 2005 06:46:45 GMT

In lugnet.people, Jeroen de Haan wrote:

Cool! So this is why you went to Singapore!

And what better place to cool off ;-)

Oh, he’s getting used to the weather (temp 31 deg C). Attired in T-shirt, shorts and sandals he’s better dressed than us locals. He’s getting quite adept with a pair of chopsticks, refusing to use fork and spoon. Can even take the hot spicy curries to boot. Hmm, folks, IMHO it looks like he’s preparing himself to stay here permanently...

Here’s Larry enjoying himself with the SingLUG members last weekend having fun with live steam train for a change.

More pics here: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=120552

Can we get to keep him here?

CS

Re: Searching for Larry Pieniazek!!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people, lugnet.loc.sg, lugnet.loc.nl, lugnet.org.us.cedarlug
Date:
Sun, 6 Mar 2005 19:28:35 GMT

"Larry Pieniazek" <larry.(mylastname)@ascentialsoftware.DOT.com> schreef in
bericht news:ICpFoy.17Ir@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.people, Chio Siong Soh wrote:

I have piccies too, just need to upload them.

Cool! So this is why you went to Singapore!
Damn Lar, Janey said you lived like a king and she was right!

Jeroen

Re: Searching for Larry Pieniazek!!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people, lugnet.loc.sg, lugnet.loc.nl, lugnet.org.us.cedarlug
Date:
Wed, 2 Mar 2005 04:24:30 GMT

In lugnet.people, Orion Pobursky wrote:
In lugnet.people, John Neal wrote:
In lugnet.people, Orion Pobursky wrote:
Who's who in the pictures?  I'm one of those people that's curious what the
face is like behind the name.

I know who Larry is (how could I not?).  I wanted to know who the others were
:-)

Oh, ok. Unfortunately, I haven't figured out how to add annotations to the pics
in Brickshelf.

So, if you'll look at the last (group) pic: the one in front is Daniel. In the
back row, from left to right: LP, CS, Eddie, Jomain and Wee Yeh.

You can find out more about SingLUG here: http://afol.meetup.com/28/

CS

Re: Searching for Larry Pieniazek!!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people, lugnet.loc.sg, lugnet.loc.nl, lugnet.org.us.cedarlug
Date:
Wed, 2 Mar 2005 03:55:17 GMT

In lugnet.people, John Neal wrote:
   In lugnet.people, Orion Pobursky wrote:
   Who’s who in the pictures? I’m one of those people that’s curious what the face is like behind the name.

He’s the happy looking one in this pic:-)

I know who Larry is (how could I not?). I wanted to know who the others were :-)

-Orion

Re: Searching for Larry Pieniazek!!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people, lugnet.loc.sg, lugnet.loc.nl, lugnet.org.us.cedarlug
Date:
Wed, 2 Mar 2005 03:42:06 GMT

In lugnet.people, Orion Pobursky wrote:
   Who’s who in the pictures? I’m one of those people that’s curious what the face is like behind the name.

He’s the happy looking one in this pic:-)

JOHN

Re: Searching for Larry Pieniazek!!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people, lugnet.loc.sg, lugnet.loc.nl, lugnet.org.us.cedarlug
Date:
Wed, 2 Mar 2005 03:38:46 GMT

In lugnet.people, Chio Siong Soh wrote:
   In lugnet.people, John Neal wrote:
   In lugnet.people, Brian Pilati wrote:
   Larry,

I am in need of help in two areas and I believe you are the only one who can help me. I have tried to e-mail you at this address lpieniazekatmercatornospam.com but without success (bounces).

He’s not so hard to find. Hard to get rid of, I’d say;-) He did change companies; note his new email from this post

Search no more, people. Right now, he is here with us in Singapore!

Members of the newly formed SingLUG (Singapore Lego User Group) had a great time with him last weekend. And will probably have another bash with him coming weekend.

Here are some pics of our meeting: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=119522

Btw, why would you want to get rid of him :-)

Who’s who in the pictures? I’m one of those people that’s curious what the face is like behind the name.

-Orion

Redisplay Messages:  Brief | Compact