 Local / Singapura / 54
Re: The LEGO Colosseum Project
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.sg, lugnet.build.ancient, lugnet.build.sculpture, lugnet.events
Date:
Sun, 18 Sep 2005 03:46:47 GMT

In lugnet.loc.sg, Erik Olson wrote:
   In lugnet.loc.sg, Wee Yeh Tow wrote:
   Hello LEGO fans,

Last weekend, members from a Singapore Lego Fan Group, S0937FG, came together to recreate 2 quarants of the Roman Colosseum out of LEGO bricks. The installation was done on-site in the Asian Civilisation Museum(ACM),Singapore.The structure is approximately 1.8m long and 1.5m high and took 2 days to complete.

The completed structure

That is nice! Were there any special techniques used to build the curves? It does look like regular square grid - and large enough to be smooth.

-Erik

Hi Erik,

I’m not too sure about that because I was too busy building =P, but I managed to get an answer from our designer who happens to be a trained architect =)

“There were no special techniques required, but I first counted and measure the size of the intended building, then worked out a scale.. from there, the architectural plans were then shrunk to proportion an in this case was either 1:10, or 1:20... i cannot exactly remebered...

Next was to draw grid lines of 1 stud intervals over the scaled plans, then basic lego bricks are pieced to achieve the lare curve....this method is also used for the colonades and grand stand seats....” -Eugene Tan(Designer,The LEGO Colosseum Project)

Hope it answers your questions.

Wee Yeh