 Local / Portugal / 98
Re: Gotta love Oracle...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.loc.pt
Date:
Fri, 5 Oct 2001 22:18:02 GMT

(snipped)
Maybe the card itself is not a civil rights violations, but the many >activities
for which they will use such a thing are.  First, if I'm required to disply my
shiny new Federal ID, I consider it unreasonable search.  I think of the right
to travel anonymously as a fundamental.  Further, I don't want the federal
government tracking my consumer habits through a requirement to use this card
for some or all purchases.

This whole idea makes me very edgy.

Hi Chris,

Maybe the reason you are experiencing such a fear is the fact that ID card
is supposed to be "High Tech"...
I have had a National ID card for ten years, and I only had to show it for
proof of identity on reasonable subjects: Tests (School, College admission),
Licenses (Driver's and others), and as a login number (!) to know if I had
been admitted to College.
Technically, if I get in trouble I can use it to prove my identity, but I
was never asked by any cop to display it.
The thing is our ID card acts a bit like a passport (in fact, it does so
within the Schengen Space). There are no chips, and the sort of information
is very superficial: Name, Birthday, Parents' names, Height, Marital Status,
Number (the single most important thing), Emission and Validity.
Besides, our legislation FORBIDS the state agencies to cross data among
themselves (for instance, Social security record and Tax record), or to
share it with companies. There are a few laws about data collected from
citizens, very advanced indeed.
My point is the ID card itself isn't that invasive unless legislation isn't
created to prevent abuses. You fear the government will track your habits...
so maybe the response is a less advanced ID card, or the law saying only an
officer can ask you to display the card.

Pedro