 Local / Portugal / 318
317  |  319
Subject:
Low-tech & low cost controls
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.pt
Date:
Thu, 16 May 2002 21:21:29 GMT

Hi all,

I have been devising a layout for my train collection to be displayed in,
but suddenly I came across a number of problems:

#1 - Multiple locos mean low speed for each of them (*Very low*);
#2 - One controller unit *alone* is really boring (same speed for all... yay...;
#3 - Long lines tend to be "slow" - how is this usually solved?
#3 - Modifing engines is a real hassle (and *expensive*, around here);
#4 - Remote controlling an entire layout from a single place seems really
cool, but extremely difficult to do (is it really?)

So, now I'm after your personal experiences in the domain "low-tech, low
cost solutions" for train controls. Ideally, I'm tring to control a maximum
of 6 locos, in a *considerable* amount of track sections (each one tends to
be small though, something like 16 straights in lenght).
I know I'll need more than one controller unit, but *what is the minimum*?
Is it possible to connect two or three in such a way that the same CU runs
more than one section of track, but each section in a separate fashion?
How should I do insulations? Would a thin piece of scotch tape be enough?
Where should I connect the points (and other accessories, why not)? Is it
best to use a separate CU for these?

I think this is more to do with electric circuits rationalizing than LEGO
itself, but it *is* to use with my trains :-)
Any help on this subject (and the KISS acronym especially applies ;-) would
mean a lot to me.

TIA,

Pedro