 Trains / 16492
Re: Low-tech & low cost controls
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 18 May 2002 21:37:21 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Rick Clark writes:
Pedro Silva wrote:

In lugnet.trains, Rick Clark writes:

<snip>

Additional feeder wires every 25-100 ft or so should reduce the
electrical friction that is causing the power loss. Experiment with what
works best.

I will, thank you. BTW, is it possible to use a regular wire (non-LEGO) to
make tests? Later I'd replace it with the real stuff, but in order to test
faster I may need to use this procedure (if it is possible, what are the
specifications of the suitable wire?)

20# wire from Radio shack works fine.

Huh... I guess I forgot to tell you: there is no such thing as Radio Shack
here! Plus, is the US designation the same as in Europe?

Also, for quick prototyping, use
small alligator clips. they can by clipped on the ends of sidings, or in
loops, pressed horizontally into one of the four slots on each side of
the track. Friction holds them in place (in the closed position), and
they don't interfere with the train wheels. (And they're a heckuva lot
cheaper than LEGO train leads!)

These I have a couple (from my "little chemist's" pack); I will use them
shortly, thank you!

<snip>

#5 - Remote controlling an entire layout from a single place seems really
cool, but extremely difficult to do (is it really?)

It depends. If the entire layout is a single loop, then maybe not so
hard. If it's multiple, independent loops, also not such a big deal.

Interlocking loops may be the best description, but I really don't know. I
tend to have a loop in every station (4-5), connected by double track to the
"main" loop.

Well, you could gave a main loop with a set speed, then have people
switch off the main loop onto their own isolated loops. But I don't
think it'd be much fun, since everyone will still be going in circles.

Precisely. The layout I designed first had that problem... until I thought
of controlling the "blocks" individually. (I loved the explanation of
cabbing, BTW!)

So, now I'm after your personal experiences in the domain "low-tech, low
cost solutions" for train controls. Ideally, I'm tring to control a maximum
of 6 locos, in a *considerable* amount of track sections (each one tends to
be small though, something like 16 straights in length).

A pic of your layout would be helpful here.

I will try to e-mail you a .tdl document later.

Please simplify it to its basics, if possible. And a pic is better for
me than a .tdl, as Track Designer has not been ported to the Mac yet. :-(

Both are in the .zip I sent. If they don't work, LMK and I'll retry.

Also, I should mention that the length of your blocks gives you a trade
off: level of control vs. ease of use. That is to say, many short blocks
will give you more precise control of your trains, but you will spend a
lot of time throwing block control switches. Fewer, longer blocks will
have the opposite effect.

I understand that, and in part it is deliberate: this is intended to be used
by more than one operator at a time, sort of instigating the cooperation
skills of the users. As long as each controller can keep a relatively simple
portion of management for himself, I believe it will work.
But I may be wrong. In any way, the fun will be in the attempt, not
necessarily the result!  ;-)

If you have a single loop
with multiple, isolated track sections, then there may not be a simple
solution. Are you trying to operate trains like a DCC system, but
without the DCC?

I guess so. I intend to "simulate" a DCC, with pure improvisation. I believe
I can achieve this with a clever use of logic, but so far I was unable to
come up with a good solution :-(

I've snipped the rest of your post here, as I'm concerned that you know
not what you ask.

Indeed. I admit I'm fairly ignorant about this issue :-(

I believe you probably could do what you want to do,
in a low-cost, low-tech way. What it will not have is simplicity. What I
think you want is electrical block control, which model railroaders have
used since the 50s. Here's a good, quick article about it. See if this
is what you're talking about:

http://www.trains.com/Content/Dynamic/Articles/000/000/001/310arewb.asp

YES!!!
It seems like it!... I must take a longer look at the article, but for what
I've read so far that's *it*.

If so, you should contact a traditional model train club in your area
(NMRA can help with this), and see if someone has a layout with block
control wiring. Then see if you can get in some operating time on it,
and get them to explain to you how it works.

Well, that may be a problem. The only meeting around here involving model
railroaders was some while back, and I only saw it by accident. I know there
must be some model railroaders in the area, but they are harder to spot than
Elvis.

Failing that, get a copy of:

"Easy Model Railroad Wiring"
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0890243492/qid=1021690244/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/002-1937699-9704837

or "How to Wire Your Model Railroad"
http://s1.amazon.com/exec/varzea/ts/exchange-glance/Y04Y6335031Y0606381/qid=1021690244/sr=1-1/002-1937699-9704837

Both should be available at your local library. These will explain
"common-rail wiring," "electrical block control," and "multiple cab
control," with a level of detail and clarity that I would be unlikely to
match.

Again, Geography works against me. I must try to find these the next time I
go to Lisbon. :-/
Well, I might use Amazon... but I have a hard time with e-shopping.

Once you've read that article, and maybe checked out those books, see if
you still want to try this route. I think it's gonna be your best bet,
if you want to get as complicated as you do (6 locos!).

6 is the final objective... for the moment I only have 4. But once I can
manage 4... :-)

I guess I'll start with trying to find a model railrooaders club after all.
It may be hard, but if there is one I think I can expect to see the system
put to work rather than in a book. Additionally, I would be meeting somebody
else liking trains!
Do you know of any Portuguese train club, BTW?

Pedro