 Local / Portugal / 276
Re: Train-on-a-train Car
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.pt
Date:
Tue, 9 Apr 2002 23:35:49 GMT

Right now, the vertical axles that the gears are on are located in the technic
holes in a standard train baseplate.  For some reason, this seems to add a
great deal of tension to the axles.  In fact, I noticed (prior to putting a
top technic-hole plate on) as I was assembling it that the chains were pulling
the axles in towards the center *a lot*, much more so than just due to the
weight of the chains.  The chain loop actually seemed slightly too short for
the distance between the technic holes.

Your last sentence there states the problem exactly- the chain links simply
aren't the right length for even stud spacing in many cases.  Think about
it... the links fit over gear teeth, and why would the circumference of
integral-stud-diameter gears work out to even stud spacing?

According to the Ldraw version of the part (sorry, I don't have any links
here in my office to verify), they link 16 LDU apart.  This equates to 4/5
of a stud offset, or 2 plates of distance.  That means that if you are about
a half-plate too far apart... space the axles 1 stud closer to each other
and remove 1 chain link.  If that's not quite enough, do it again.  Or go
the other direction and keep trying different axle and chain spacing
combinations.

--
Tony Hafner
www.hafhead.com