 Local / Portugal / 259
Re: 1st PLUGfest, held in Oporto - March 17, 2002
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.pt
Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 23:03:55 GMT

In lugnet.loc.pt, Manfred Moolhuysen writes:
In lugnet.loc.pt, Pedro Silva writes:
PLUG has finally managed to organize its first meeting. It was probably *the
fastest one* in History (one morning), but was very cool!

That is great news, you Plugs. Congratulations, you've managed to overcome
the first hurdle, an important step on the long road to nation-wide fame.

LOL!
But honest now, we think we stand a chance!

As far as I could tell from the pictures, it's not bad for only four
persons. Currendly I can't get my video-card settings at a propper
resolution, and I'm a bit tired, so I don't comment your contributions
individualy. I liked the detailed report describing the activities that took
place during the meeting.

Thank you!
The pics show few of our MOCs individually or even with great resolution; we
preferred to give a more "panoramic" look. Which is not to say the MOCs
don't appear!

Important decisions were discussed: we have established a small prize, which
will be given in the next meeting. Now we only need the competition! Hints,
please! :-P

In this stadium I would suggest a "best idea for promoting the club localy"
contest :-) Give yourself some time until you are realy confident about the
items you're able to show, then start, in addition to (or in connection
with) your normal club meetings, planning small activities that give your
club some exposure to the general public, to catch the attention of
potential new members.

I have been thinking about it for quite some time now. It is especially hard
to arrange any sort of meeting particularly due to the lack of support from
LEGO - we already have the most expensive LEGO (regarding average income),
and not even the full line is available everywhere. We are willing to do
free publicity for them if they can *lend* (not give) material.
Another MAJOR setback is our geographic location: we all live in the North,
and demography is against us (most LEGO collectors are believed to live in
Lisbon and surroundings). This is one problem I have NO idea how to solve:
how can we start our activities further to the South?

Zé Pedro was unable to attend, but he lent me his LEGO so that I could start
building an articulated bridge for the train - I'm working on it now! If all
goes according to plan, I'll be displaying it on our next meeting, scheduled
for August (you are ALL invited to come).

Be carefull with that ALL, you might attract international visitors. Can you
deal with hosting these already ? :-)

The "All" was intentional. We are able (or so I think) to host foreign
visitors, and indeed are somewhat eager to do so - it would be a great
chance to learn. Aditionally, it might provide us some visibility.
In August we are expecting one Spanish member (until there is a SLUG, PLUG
is ILUG!  ;-), and maybe some 5 or 6 portuguese ones. It would be great to
have more participants, and who knows, maybe someone on holidays here would
like to take a jump to Oporto!

Anyway, I'm starting to save some €s to travel to "Zwolle 2". I'd really
love to attend - apart from the obvious interest in the LEGO on display, I
am interested on the organizational issues (particularly because this event
is, I believe, fan-originated)

Thank you very much for the feedback, Manfred!

Pedro