 Local / Portugal / 178
Re: Zwolle
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.pt, lugnet.loc.nl
Date:
Wed, 7 Nov 2001 22:58:39 GMT

In lugnet.loc.pt, Pedro Silva writes:
I was very impressed with the photos. Were all builders present of the same
(high) degree in "Lego-building", or were there "non-experts"?

I would say it was quite mixed. Ofcourse the prictures highlight those
exibits that attracted the most attention, but there where less ambitious
projects to be seen also.
For instance, I consider myself not being a great desingner, so for a large
part I rely on beautifull train/building custom sets, that where desinged
and put up for sale by other AOFL's through Internet.
From me personaly there where only two real MOC's on the layout, a simple
flatbed wagon with a cargo of old blue 4,5V rails, and a coalpark (for
filling the locomotive tenders with coal). The rest of my works are modest
adaptations of standard LEGO sets, making the boogies look better, extend
station platforms and so on.

I was realy pleased with the foreign guests and fellow members from our club
"De Bouwsteen" who contributed with a impressive lot of spectecular MOC's to
show at the event.

Ok, imagine for a moment that we (PLUG) would try to organize some similar
event (to a smaller scale). Should we try the following:
- Museum of Transport?
- Museum of Tramway?
- Youth Institute?
- Lego Portugal/Spain?
- Lego (Headquarters)?
- Foreign clubs (the closest are in Italy and The Netherlands?
- Local Media (there aren't specialized TV's for kids, only one for teens)?
- Toy Museum (Lisbon)?
- Other?
Which one(s) of these should we try first? And what should we ask for?

Lets say: start realy small in the beginning, by organising 2 or 3 almost
club only events. You have to get used to eachother, find out the amount of
workload you as a group can handle, try out what each of your specific
talents are. Remember, this is how our club got started, and along the way
we've had to overcome a few (small) growing pains. In this stage you could
invite members of foreign clubs already.

When you've gained a bit of experience you could try a store demonstration
(like the USA groups do often) and try to work with organisitions that are
aimed to youghsters and that probably give you some "benefit of the doubt".
Maybe the Youth Institute might be a good one. I'm not sure if there are any
(general) railroad modelling events in the Iberian peninsula, otherwise that
would be a good oportunity too.

I guess that larger organisations, such as musea and Lego itself, will
expect a certain degree of profesionality from you. They probably require
you to write a detailed plan and expect you to solve most of your "own"
problems. So I think it's wise to attempt such institutions only once you
feel you've gained enough experience in organising.

As said before, record your events. Showing images of realy impressed and
enthusiastic public is one of the the most effective means to convince
people that not yet know or believe in the magic of Lego.

So there were parallel activities in the show, not only the displays
themselves. What sort of parallel events should we try to stick to (note
that we are few, and unable to be the center of the exhibit)? What would be
apropriate?

Those parallel activities probably will cost you money, in our case it was
paid for by a large part of the admission. We where not dealing with that
part ourselves, we where deliberately not involved in the organisation of
(commercial) parallel activities. Start with small exibits and try to grow
from there.

How did you start? How long did you take to grow from day one to the first
*true* meeting?

I must admit I wasn't present in those very early days of our club, so I
wouldn't know that. I guess it depents on two ore three persons that are
realy willing to pursue the case.

What was the member enthousiasm level? How did you manage to
motivate folks to show up in the first meetings?

I guess they did that by having a great time. (I had on my first meeting)

How did you advertise early on?

When I became a member it was all by hear-say and the attention recieved by
the public club meetings. Today you have the possibility to profile yourself
more extensively on Internet

The volunteers, who were they? Not names, I mean, were they fans that did
not participate with MOCs? Or just friends or so?

The majority where non exibiting fans, but partly they where
friends/relatives of the first goup also.

Hmmm... This gives me ideas for the future... IF I ever go to The
Netherlands during a LegoShow...  ;-)

You will be most welcome.

With friendly greetings, M. Moolhuysen.