 Local / Nederland / 960
Re: HELP Need some basic info on Netherlands
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.nl
Date:
Wed, 19 Sep 2001 12:16:45 GMT

What does a single family home cost to rent per month and/or is this even
feasible.  I would prefer to live close to a main city or town.

   My friends and colleagues usually get away for less than NGL 1000
   (c. $400)/month for a nice place near the center of small cities/
   towns.  My experience in Leiden would suggest that places are
   not too hard to find, and they usually rent by the month--their
   leasing system is very different and much more relaxed and "tenant
   friendly" than in most of the English-speaking world.

   Then again, I live in New Jersey, so my standard of comparison
   is at the other extreme.  ;)

I don't know if your working for a large company, but most of the time they
provide a house (as far as I know). I think you have to expect a higher
price for houses as mentioned above, if you want something nice. Mostly the
problem is getting a house quickly. Houses in the range of NGL 600 - NGL
1000 have a waiting list (5 years is not uncommon) and you get them of the
city (they are in charge of those). So if you want a house quickly, you have
to pay... NGL 1500 p/month is more common than.  Believe me, I know :-(  In
the big cities it is worse (much worse). I don't know how it is in the USA
but living out of the city is a very good option here, and it certainly is
cheaper.
Oh, and also, The Netherlands is a very nice place to live :-)

Saskia