 Local / Nederland / 959
Re: HELP Need some basic info on Netherlands
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.nl
Date:
Wed, 19 Sep 2001 10:49:25 GMT

Mr L F Braun wrote:

Also What do the following cost?

Liter of Milk?

About $0.50-$0.70 depending on sort (standard / low fat) But we don't have
as much choice as in the US, about 6 types in total.

Liter of Petrol?

Standard unleaded is about $1, Diesel is about $0.80 I think... Leaded up
to $1.15

Loaf of Bread?

Bread between $0.50 and $2 depending on type / quality.

Most IMPORTANTLY

Price of LEGO?

   Close to that in the US.  Taxes are subsumed into the listed
   price; they're actually a bit lower in .nl.  If your standard
   of comparison is not the USA, say so and I can probably put it
   into comparison with the UK or Oceana.

True, while in Los Angeles I was actually shocked when I went into a TRU
there to get some "deals" ...

   Oh, and incidentally:  In the case of Amsterdam and The Hague,
   all of the above does not apply.  For costs in Amsterdam, think
   New York City (at least near the centrum); for costs in The Hague,
   think Washington D.C...again, the closer to the respective train
   stations, the higher the price.  But the mass transit and
   bicyclability (tm me) is so incredibly good that living a bit
   away is not only possible but in a lot of ways really desirable.

Not just those cities, Utrecht is just as worse, Delft, Rijswijk and
Haarlem are also VERY notorious....

   Buy a Blue Guide, available in English at most good bookstores.
   But the Dutch are really very helpful to clueless foreigners,
   provided they're not standing in the middle of the bicycle path.  :D

Hehe LOL....
Feel free to email me privately if you need any more info, always glad to
help. I think you'll find Holland very nice, most folks here speak English
quite well, so language sure won't be a problem.
--
Jan-Albert "Anvil" van Ree   | http://artsen.vanree.net
VanReeDotNet IT Solutions    | http://www.vanree.net