 Local / Nederland / 957
Re: HELP Need some basic info on Netherlands
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.nl
Date:
Tue, 18 Sep 2001 23:18:30 GMT

Please pardon my intromission, but I must refer that all prices in the
Netherlands (and most EU countries as well) will be in Euro (EUR, €) from
January 1st, 2002. This isn't really a very important information (pricing
will be the same, but on a different currency; NGL will cease to exist in
the early months of 2002).
I only posted this 'cause LFB mentioned the housing price in NGL... so if
you move there, don't find it awkard to see *different* values (heck, 300
million people will have to do the same!  :-)

BTW, is Petrol in the Netherlands *cheaper* than in US? Really?? I always
thought that in Continental Europe fuel was very expensive compared to the
States...

In lugnet.loc.nl, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
In lugnet.loc.nl, Dan Moquin writes:
Is there someone in here that could help me with a few questions about The
Netherlands?

I am considering taking a year long (maybe longer if I like it) contract job
over there, but would like to find out a little more info about the country.
The location would be in the North Holland area.  I was wondering what the
living accomodations are and what the cost of living is over there?

  As an Amerikaan who has lived in .nl (maar Zuid-Holland) I can
  tell you about my experience.  I lived in Leiden which is a bit
  away from all the Noord-Holland stuff.  But the NS is quite good
  (despite how the newspapers deride it sometimes) and would make
  a commute from a place like Delft or Groningen possible.  r/t
  costs might be about US$3/$4 a day to do that, a really good deal.

What does a single family home cost to rent per month and/or is this even
feasible.  I would prefer to live close to a main city or town.

  My friends and colleagues usually get away for less than NGL 1000
  (c. $400)/month for a nice place near the center of small cities/
  towns.  My experience in Leiden would suggest that places are
  not too hard to find, and they usually rent by the month--their
  leasing system is very different and much more relaxed and "tenant
  friendly" than in most of the English-speaking world.

  Then again, I live in New Jersey, so my standard of comparison
  is at the other extreme.  ;)

Also What do the following cost?

Liter of Milk?
Liter of Petrol?
Loaf of Bread?

  I can't recall.  Maybe one of the many Nederlanders around
  here can give more recent quotes, but it was *really* cheap
  for milk and bread--much cheaper than here on the US East
  Coast (and, from a colleague from Berkeley, a lot cheaper
  than in California).  Petrol is about half again that in the
  US with respect to price.

Most IMPORTANTLY

Price of LEGO?

  Close to that in the US.  Taxes are subsumed into the listed
  price; they're actually a bit lower in .nl.  If your standard
  of comparison is not the USA, say so and I can probably put it
  into comparison with the UK or Oceana.

  Oh, and incidentally:  In the case of Amsterdam and The Hague,
  all of the above does not apply.  For costs in Amsterdam, think
  New York City (at least near the centrum); for costs in The Hague,
  think Washington D.C...again, the closer to the respective train
  stations, the higher the price.  But the mass transit and
  bicyclability (tm me) is so incredibly good that living a bit
  away is not only possible but in a lot of ways really desirable.

  Buy a Blue Guide, available in English at most good bookstores.
  But the Dutch are really very helpful to clueless foreigners,
  provided they're not standing in the middle of the bicycle path.  :D

  best

  LFB