 Local / Nederland / 200
Re: Netherlands verses Holland - Which is when?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.nl
Date:
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 09:27:46 GMT

Op een zekere dag, te weten Mon, 27 Sep 1999 05:07:55 GMT, klom "Sanjay
D'Souza" <sds87@hotmail.com> in het toetsenbord en schreef ons:

Are the terms Holland and "the Netherlands" used interchangably when
describing the country?

For instance which of the following is correct?  (probably both are)

"The Shell sets have been released in Holland"
"The Shell sets have been released in the Netherlands"

I guess what I'm trying to say is

1) When is it appropriate to use "Holland"
2) When is it appropriate to use "the Netherlands"

It's rather simple. There are two 'states' called 'zuid-holland' and
'noord-holland', (south and north holland), both are at the west, seaside,
and have the big cities in them: Amstardam as capital, Rotterdam as biggest
harbour in the world, and Den Haag as government-city. Holland comes from
'hollow land', meaning that a large part of those states are below sea level
(the national airprot Schiphol is at -6m...). Overall, about 1/3 of The
Netherlands are below sea level..  8-)

From outside the country, it makes no difference if you call the Country
Holland or The Netherlands.
It is about the same if you name 'England' or 'Great Britain', or 'America'
versus 'The United States', as seen from this side of the Atlantic.

Inside the Country, it usually makes no sense to distinguish between Holland
or The Netherlands (or Nederland, as we say), but there are some
anal-fixitive people (mostly from one of the Hollands), who say that there
_is_ a difference. Even as Holland is divided into 11 states (or are there
12 now? I am away from school and country for years already), the borders
are much less imporant as the state-borders in the USA.

Ardjan, living in Austria (Vienna), but grown up (?) in Zuid-Holland...  8-)

-----
Ardjan's YALP (Yet Another Lego Page) at
http://unet.univie.ac.at/~a8705125/ardjan