 Local / Nederland / 199
Re: Netherlands verses Holland - Which is when?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.nl
Date:
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 07:58:49 GMT

Mark de Kock wrote in message ...
Sanjay,
It is also confusing for us Dutch people. The official english word for our
country is The Netherlands. Holland is a province (county) within it.
Actually, there are two Hollands: North and South Holland.
The name Holland dates back to the 17tc century, when both North and South
Holland were the two most important (politically and mony-wise) provinces
and everybody knew our country by that name.
To get back on topic: the Shellsets have been released in the Netherlands
and also in Holland - a part of the Netherlands.
Interesting note: When you send snail-mail from another country, both
Holland and the Netherlands in the address will work.

The Netherlands is more formal than Holland, but otherwise both are used
interchangebly in English.
However, as Mark notes, *in Dutch* there's a difference between Nederland
and Holland, as Holland should refer to the provinces (North and South-)
Holland. To complicate things many Dutch people, who should know better,
actually say Holland where they mean Nederland. I hate that, because it's
like there's noting else but Holland in  Nederland. But as I said, in
English this is not a controversial issue and you can use both.

Eric