 Local / Nederland / 197
196  |  198
Subject:
Netherlands verses Holland - Which is when?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.nl
Date:
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 05:07:55 GMT

Are the terms Holland and "the Netherlands" used interchangably when
describing the country?

For instance which of the following is correct?  (probably both are)

"The Shell sets have been released in Holland"
"The Shell sets have been released in the Netherlands"

I guess what I'm trying to say is

1) When is it appropriate to use "Holland"
2) When is it appropriate to use "the Netherlands"

Some of the confusion comes from the fact that the Dutch soccer team is
referred to as "the Netherlands".

Thanks in advance

Sanjay