 Local / Israel / 164
Re: A FIRST LEGO League challenge in Israel
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.il
Date:
Sun, 23 May 2004 06:23:10 GMT

In lugnet.loc.il, Yaron Dori wrote:
In lugnet.loc.il, Alan wrote:
I'd like to set up a FLL challenge in Israel. After a number of enquiries
(including in this forum) I have found out that we can participate under the
auspices of the UK First Lego League.

snip

For more information about FLL browse to
http://www.firstlegoleague.org/
and
http://www.firstlegoleague.org/default.aspx?pid=4160

snip

Hi Alan,

I think we'll be much intrested to, but I need some more details about it.
Can you email me to webrain2003@speedy.co.il
Thanks

Yaron Dori

Yaron

Sorry for not having replied to you earlier. I am doing this together with
my son's high school teacher in Modi'in. As he is currently in miluim, I
have not been able to co-ordinate with him.

The concept is this. The competition will be part of a multinational group
competition called First Lego League. You can see the details at the web
addresses below. Basically the idea is for the kids to do something more
than build a Lego robot which gets to the far end of a track as quickly as
possible. The challenge involves a research project, learning to work in a
team, defining goals, planning and programming. There is also a sponsorship
component.

The challenge has a different theme every year. This year the subject will
be to use robotics to assist people with special needs.

Each country has its own challenge. However, for this year we can't set up
an independent Israeli challenge - its too late and First Lego League
organisation feels its growing as fast as they can manage anyway. However,
we can participate under the auspices of another country, and I thought that
the UK would be the best. I contacted them and they were very keen for us to
join. They already have a team from another country participating in their
challenge this year.

The idea is for us to set up a couple of teams here that would compete
against each other according to the rules set up by FLL. On the tournament
day they could send someone out from the UK to supervise. The winner would
go to the UK to participate in their final round. The sponsorship I wrote
about earlier will be required to pay for all this.

Teams must register by the end of August. At the beginning of September the
details of the challenge or mission are announced. The kids have eight weeks
to prepare for the tournament.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Alan