 Local / Canada / Ontario / 42
Re: Is Robotics Discovery Set good?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.loc.ca.on
Date:
Wed, 25 Oct 2000 22:06:31 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Bradley Dale writes:
I got a catalog today from a science store in Toronto, and it has relativley
low priced Mindstorms.  There are Droid Developers for $105.00, and Robotics
Discovery for $159.95.  This is quite close to the American price, so I think
it is a better value than they would be elsewhere.  Invention System 1.5 is
$299.00, like it always is.  I like the Robotics Discovery Set, and it says
that you can create over 3,000 different behaviours for the robots.  Is that
true?  I think a toy like that would keep me contantly amused for years.  But
the TLC catalog says microscouts have only 7 programs.  Can this be correct?  I
think that this is what for Christmas.  I will ask for this set anyway, since
it is bound to be more interactive than the Freight & Crane Railway train I
was previously wishing for (and no, nobody has bought the train yet).  PS: I'm
13 years old and don't have any previous experience with robotic programming.

The RDS is a really cool set. And if it is your first time programming then
i think its the way to go. The only real drawbacks i see with the scout is
it does not support the rotation sensor and it only has two inputs(that you
can change anyway) When they say you can have over 3000 programs they mean
thats the total number of combinations of commands possible. But when you
get a feel for programming you can get the SDK of of the mindstorms sight
and you can do more advanced programming. I hear there is also an expansion
set in the works for the scout. So i would say go fo it. I think the droid
developer kit is mostly for star wars fans since it only has one motor and
one light sensor so the robots made with it are alot simpler than the ones
possible with the RDS.
Hope all this helps. Later!