 Robotics / 12916
Re: Is Robotics Discovery Set good?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.loc.ca.on
Date:
Thu, 26 Oct 2000 01:15:19 GMT

Bradley Dale wrote:

Brad, if you can, go for the RCX (RIS) It will be usable for MANY years to • come as
you grow.

I have all three units and I can tell you that the RCX (RIS) is the best.

I think the Robot Invntion system is too much money.  Since i'm gettng the
Cyber Strikers set, a $60 dinosaur book, and perhaps other things for Christmas
too, I don't think I'd be allowed to do that.  And I don't really like computer
games, I mostly just use my comuter to communicate on lugnet.  I'd much rather
paly with a little micrscout than plug my LEGO robot into Windows 98.  I mean,
what if I got an illegal operation?!

I was playing with LEGO last night and wanted to build a catapult that fired
when the front rammed into something.  Is that possible (Cyber Slam Robot's
Revenge comes as close as I can imagine) without a Mindstorms system or will I
have to save that idea for later?

You can do that with the Scout. (Note: Micro-Scout and Scout are NOT the same)
The scout comes with some nice stuff. But to use the full power of the Scout you're
going to need a transmitter for the PC. Lego or Ebay should have them.

The Micro-Scout can be used with the Scout to do some cool stuff. The main HUGE
downside to the Scout is the lack of memory.

On the plus side the Scout and RCX can talk to each other. So, at a later date, you
get an RCX, you can use the scout as a slave and get more inputs etc.

Dean
--
Coin-Op's For Sale!: http://www.akasa.bc.ca/tfm/coin-op.html
Dean's Lego Workshop: http://www.akasa.bc.ca/tfm/lego_wr.html