 Local / Canada / Ontario / 206
Re: 486-33 8Mb
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.ca.on, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Mon, 1 Sep 2003 21:13:55 GMT

In lugnet.loc.ca.on, Derek Raycraft wrote:
I got this 486 - 33Mhz with 8Mb RAM that taking up too much space and
all I can think of using it for is a boat anchor and forgetting to put a
rope on it.

So if anyone can think of a use for it, or would like to have it, let me
know.

I have heard of people running linux on tired iron like this (there's even a
linux on a floppy distribution, I hear, that's already set up to do this) and
using the box as a firewall/dhcp server between the outside world and the rest
of your network. You need two network cards in it though, IIRC.

I seem to remember asking about this myself but I ended up just buying an
integrated router/dhcp server from LinkSys because I'm lazy.