 Local / Canada / 957
Re: Holiday in US / Canada
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.ca
Date:
Fri, 9 Mar 2001 03:48:48 GMT

On Fri, 9 Mar 2001 02:34:47 GMT, "Ross Crawford" <rcrawford@csi.com>
wrote:

Hi all

I'm planning a bit of a holiday in US / Canada from end of April to beginning
of June. I'll only be a few days on west coast of US, and was thinking of then
heading up to BC, and making my way across to Ontario, by rail if possible.

I was just wondering if anyone has any "must see" places, as well as
suggestions for places to stop along the way?

What's accomodation like across Canada? I don't usually bother to book ahead -
just rely on being able to find somewhere to sleep when I get there 8?) but is
that a good policy in Canada?

And is there any interesting Lego things happening in May that I should try &
get to?

Thanks for any ideas

ROSCO (from Australia)

A lot depends on how long you're going to be here (in Canada eh). You
need a fair bit of time if you're actually going to stop and see
things. My company is involved in transportation and this is a problem
we encounter with many Americans (who should know better - Australians
could be forgiven). I have to say that most Americans (particularly in
Miami, but elsewhere too) don't have a clue about how big Canada
actually is. We get requests all the time to have something picked up
in BC and brought to our terminal in Ontario *overnight*. Yeah,
right... Given that Canada shares it's southern border entirely with
the US (O.K. France too, but who's counting?) you'd think that
Americans would realize that it's the same thing as traversing the US.
You have to keep in mind that you're planning on crossing more than
half the continent and, indeed, the second largest country in the
world. Don't expect to do it in a week and do anything but sit on a
train. (It doesn't take quite that long by train, since you can sleep
on it, but you won't see much other than a lot of beautiful
landscapes. If you have any hope of visiting places along the way,
you'll have to get off and catch the next train. Then you'll need at
least a week.
As for sight-seeing locations, that all depends on what your interests
are...

Lastly, if it's Lego you're looking for, I would comb the LOC.CA.*
newsgroups looking for references to lego clubs to get the scoop on
local activities.

Matthias Jetleb
VA3-MWJ
Toronto, Ontario, Canada, eh!