 Local / Canada / 893
Re: DUTY? (was Re: Canadian Online Toy Purchases....)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.ca
Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 2001 02:16:27 GMT

In lugnet.loc.ca, Andrew Burt writes:

I don't think you will have much luck getting your PST back.  CCRA (was Revenue
Canada) and the province of Ontario have a service level agreement to collect
PST at the border.  I just double checked the Customs site and CCRA also has
agreements to collect PST for BC, Manitoba, Ontario, and Quebec on postal
imports.  They also collect HST if you live in Nfld, N.B., or N.S.

And they evidently collect on non-postal imports as well..., I drove
that large order in personally.

Based on their information, duties and taxes will apply on goods over $20 or
gifts over $60.  Collecting tax on stuff mailed to you is news to me.  I'm
going to be a lot more selective with my eBay bids from now on.

I hope they do cut you some slack and return your money.  Good luck.

Well given that a BrickBay package that just arrived from Italy was
also taxed, I guess I won't be seeing anything come back.  Since there
was no customs declaration on the Italian package they made something up.
Fortunately, their guess was lower than the actual value so I
made something back.  We're not quite "even" yet, but it helps  :]

KDJ
LUGNETer #203, Windsor, Ontario, Canada