 Local / Canada / 815
Re: DUTY? (was Re: Canadian Online Toy Purchases....)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.ca
Date:
Sun, 31 Dec 2000 04:44:14 GMT

Duty should not be a problem on LEGO.

I've bought from USA and Europe (France).  When they come through
Borderfree, they act as the broker and classify them properly -- duty free.
The only charge is GST/PST as in Canada.  If you purchase from someone else
and Canada Post ends up as the "broker", you pay the GST/PST on the value
plus a $5 handling fee charged by Canada Post.  I've bought other items in
different duty classes and then you get dinged with the appropriate duty
charges.

I have had one problem with duty.  Usually, Canada Customs and Excise
classifies them properly in their duty free class -- plastic toys.  However,
I had a rather large purchase come from France and somebody at Customs
decided to classify them as "plastic fittings" and I got charged 9% duty.  I
am currently in the process of trying to recover this through the appeal
process on the back of the duty form.

If you want to see rates on all products go to the Canadian Customs and
Revenue Agency Library at http://207.61.56.166//english.htm for some
interesting reading (snore.....)

n lugnet.loc.ca, Tim Culberson writes:
Hey I haven't actually looked into this as of the time I'm replying but
this sounds really cool!

I now have another question, however.....

What is the deal with paying "duty" on items and how is it determined?
I can't seem to find out much info on this and I can't seem to make any
sense of it.  I've heard of some items being shipped (esp. from ebay)
and no duty is charged, and some items a duty of some mysterious value
is charged....for example I ordered a $30 book from Amazon.com and
recieved an $8 duty fee from some place.

Can anyone help me on this?