 Local / Canada / 2232
Re: Christmas has been cancelled
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.ca
Date:
Thu, 30 Aug 2007 18:28:44 GMT

In lugnet.loc.ca, Ted Michon wrote:
In lugnet.loc.ca, Jude Beaudin wrote:
I cannot believe it, but it is true.

I get home to see the Sears Wishbook. And just like I always do, I opened it up
to the back and look at the toys.

Jude

Gee, I thought the Wishbook disappeared when Sears ended (most of) their catalog
operations in the early 1990s.

(It always seems to me that if Sears had waited 5 years and had a little insight
(OK, 2 big ifs) that they could have preempted Amazon. They had all the
warehousing and supplier connections in place (for 100 years!) plus retail savy
and dedicated customers. What a blown opportunity! (And, they could have segued
into it by putting the catalog on CD instead of paper just to save trees and
score environmental points, which would have had them instantly ready to go
HTML.)).

-Ted

Please note that this is for Canada (hence the group I chose). Sears have not
stopped catalog operations here. I have used it several times over the last few
years specifically for LEGO and regularily receive catalogs. Along with that
they have integrated the Canadian website into the distribution system. Also the
catalogs have been alternatively available on CD for the last few years. So I
guess they were better timed with some things in Canada than the US.

Jude