 Local / Canada / 1993
Re: S@H Exchange Rate?!?! (was Re: BNSF high balls it!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.ca, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Fri, 5 Nov 2004 17:39:48 GMT

Tim Strutt wrote in message ...
In lugnet.trains, Tim Tosino wrote:
LEGO is REALLY sticking it to Canadians on this set and this year. It's
$59.99 CAD. That's 1.5 Exchange! Last time I checked it was 1.2052. Why • is
LEGO milking Canadians this year when the Canadian Dollar has gone up???

Whoa. I see what you mean. I just checked and at current exchange rate, we
could be buying it in the US for $48.24Cdn, instead of the $60Cdn on S@H.

Hey Jake, do you have any idea why S@H fixed the price so high for Canada?

Simple. Canadians complained about having prices in US$. Lego changed to
pricing for Canadians in CN$. When they decided to switch, the exchange rate
was about 1.5 (earlier, it was even 1.6!). The rate has been falling ever
since, now about 1.2.

It doesn't seem practical for TLC to keep changing the CN$ prices as the
exchange rate moves up and down. You could try asking them to change back to
US$ pricing for Canadians.... but don't complain then when the rate moves
and we're paying 1.6 again.

There is no answer which will please everyone.

Currently there's a Canadian catalog code h4ce6 which gives substantial
discounts on over 200 items, which might ease the pain a bit.

Kevin
Farmhouse kit: http://www.lionsgatemodels.com/cat-farm.htm
LEGO TOWN PLANNING information:
http://www.lionsgatemodels.com/COntent/Townplan/townplan.htm