 Local / Canada / 1633
Re: 40th Anniversary of LEGO in Canada?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.ca
Date:
Sat, 1 Mar 2003 22:50:43 GMT

In lugnet.loc.ca, Gail Meagher writes:
Allan Bedford wrote:

In lugnet.loc.ca, Gail Meagher writes:
Allan Bedford wrote:

I was wondering if anyone else was wondering this....

Since 1998 brought us the 35th anniversary buckets and tubs here in Canada I
was thinking that 2003 must then be the 40th anniversary of LEGO in Canada.
<snip>

I think you are missing something big here.  We didn't have 35th
anniversary buckets in Canada because it was the 35th anniversary of
LEGO being sold in Canada, we had repackaged (different outer bucket, no
silver 2 x 4 brick) buckets from the 25th anniversary of LEGO USA (1).
I doubt they will have special buckets and tubs for the US 30th.

I thought about this some more.  I took a look at one of the buckets.  It
says, "35 Years of Building Imaginations".  35 years must mark some sort of
event, anniversary etc.  35 years from what beginning point?

Granted they may have been repackaged, but weren't they marking some sort of
35th anniversary in Canada?

Sorry if I wasn't clear.  1998 _was_ the 35th anniversary of LEGO being
sold in Canada (originally by Samsonite).

Yes, and perhaps I wasn't entirely  clear in my initial post.  That's what I
was trying to express though... that it was my belief that this was the 40th
anniversary of that event.  Perhaps the linkage to the product that was
available was a bit thin, but my original premise still stands.  I think
this is a year worth marking.  After all, if 35 years warranted special
labeling then shouldn't 40 years deserve the same or more?

I guess my basic point is that I do think there's reason to celebrate this
year.  For no other reason than to have a celebration.  :)

LEGO Canada (sniff, I miss
S@H Canada) took over from Samsonite around 1988/89 (I have a 1988
Samsonite catalogue, and a 1989 LEGO Canada catalogue).

Living in Stratford, ON it seems every other person here knows someone who
worked for Samsonite during the 70's.  The stories of large lots of LEGO
coming home with parents are something akin to urban legends here.  Some of
them are likely true, but if they were all true it means an awful lot of
bricks got spilled on the factory floor.  :)

LEGO USA (or whatever they were called) was created 30 years ago now,
but LEGO continued to be distributed by Samsonite in Canada until the
late 80s.

So, the anniversary of LEGO being _distributed_ in Canada predates the U.S.
by a decade then doesn't it?  Or was it available in the U.S. via another
distribution channel?

Allan B.