 Local / Australia / 9500
Re: Did you know...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Sat, 24 Aug 2002 05:04:56 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Paul Baulch writes:
At TRU, 7186 Watto's Junkyard is on clearance at $19.98???

Finally!  At a reasonable price!

That's right, twenty dollars!!! I'm not kidding. Mind you,
there are some downsides:

1. They're bloody hard to find nowadays. I found one, shoved
behind some big Bionicle sets that, despite their obvious
glamour and appeal to Australian Lego enthusiasts of all ages,
had been sitting there literally for months!
So weird.

They have always looked like good pieces for accessorising
ships - no surprise they didn't sell though - no decent model
and waaaay too expensive.

2. Much more importantly, Watto's Junkyard contains no
Bionicle masks! A big bummer, I know, especially considering
you could go to Macca's and buy ten Bionicle promo toys for
the same price, and get an amazing inventory of elements,
including:
10 Bionicle masks
20 Bionicle feet
10 Bionicle torsos (WOW!!!)

Hadn't thought of that.  What a quandary.  Maybe I need $40?
(Now you know I'm not a fan of whinging, but this is cute :-)

Another good value set I spotted is at Big W - Mono Jet is
available at just $1.94 and contains a decent astronaut minifig,
some good sloped bricks (including sand blue) and a small
selection of useful bricks. Admittedly it contains a wheel
which is really only useful if you want to make a futuristic
vehicle,

Mmmm.  Cool.  The wheel does make an interesting engine bell.
And the set has one of the 3x3x6 engines that make great
thrusters for large ships and primary engines (in sets of two,
three or four) for small ships.

and of course it's NOWEHERE near as useful as a Bionicle
mask and it doesn't come in a variety of highly collectible
colours and shapes like Bionicle masks do. At just under 6
cents a part, though, it's worth considering, even though
you could buy a McDonald's promo toy for the same price...
damn, even I'm not sure now.

<<chuckle>>

I can just see you scratching your head 'til it bleeds trying
to work this out :-)

My bet is on all the mono jets mysteriously disappearing off
all the shelves in all of Victoria, southern New South Wales
and eastern South Australia in the next 24 hours.

Richard
Still baldly going...