 Local / Australia / 922
Re: Lego in Supermarkets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Tue, 30 May 2000 02:09:32 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Benjamin Whytcross writes:
it wouldn't surprise me if Coles in Tas has/had some lego, as I don't
believe that there are all that many k-mart stores down there, and this is
the only way they could sell some of the larger sets in Tas.

Well, there are only marginally more Coles supermarkets than Kmarts,
there's a Kmart in each city (2 in Hobart) and every Kmart has a Coles
s'market in the same building.  The few other Coles stores are
geographically not very far away. The only Coles supermarket outside
a city is Ulverstone which is a stone's throw from Devonport anyway.
Besides, there are many other Lego retailers statewide, in fact more
in the N and NW than the Hobart region despite Hobart having about
1/2 the state's population.

My local Coles is (was) unusual in that a few years ago it had
a toy section which was shortlived. Not counting Duplo and Primo
the largest Lego sets were up to the $40-$50 mark.  Apart from that,
I've only ever seen impulse System sets ($4) and small Freestyle sets
in the two Hobart stores that had (no longer do) small variety sections,
although they are the two stores furthest from the Kmarts (which isn't
actually very far anyway!)

Anyway, selling lego in supermarkets isn't that unusual...Safewayused to
stock some lego back in the mid 80's-early 90's...then they went to meccano,
and now best/lock/megabloks/some lego clone. [Admittedly, they are at the
small end of the range, and not the $20+ area.]

On the topic of Lego in supermarkets, on Friday I found a Duplo 2252
Canister for $6 (normal retail $29.95), a nice cheap present for my
nephew. This was at my local Purity supermarket
(Purity/Roelf Vos=Woolworths), and is the one and only Lego set I have
seen there (or in any other store in this chain) ever.
I wonder where it came from?!

Deidre
drb@tasmail.com