 Local / Australia / 8734
Re: I'm so annoyed I can't think of a snappy subject line
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Thu, 18 Apr 2002 06:52:17 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, James Howse writes:
This is a whinge. Feel free to ignore, or offer very constructive help. I
know a lot of this is my own fault for not checking things out...

Some parts I need.
Log on to brickbay.
Cool, there they are.
Hm, minimum order $10.00, well OK.
Add postage and handling, fair enough.
All prices in US dollars. Should have expected that.

Cut to bank.
US$15 pay AU$42, cheque? that'll be an extra $15.

Yeah, any $#!@ currency conversion at the $#@! bank costs. First int'l money
wire I sent, I filled out all the forms with the amount I wanted to send,
and the recipient emails and says "Got the money, but it's $xx short!" - I
hadn't read the fine print where they explained that the total *included*
the conversion & transfer fee!

Used to be cheaper if you had an account there, but now I think most banks
have done away with that, too. I've found the cheapest way (besides Paypal,
etc) is Western Union m/o - still costs around $5.

Suddenly my $10 purchase of a horse saddle in a colour not available from an
AU source turns into a cash sucking exercise of major proportions.

You mean over & above the cash sucking hobby of collecting LEGO?? 8?)

James (who wants to be a bank when he grows up.)

ROSCO (who doesn't want to grow up!)