 Local / Australia / 8477
8476  |  8478
Subject:
Really about our Brisbane train show
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Wed, 6 Mar 2002 12:18:30 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Kerry Raymond writes:
I suspect there may be a few other people who might want
to know all this, or (those further afield) who might have some useful input
from doing it themselves.
If anyone else out there (locally or otherwise) has any useful advice to
contribute on how to go about our first train show, speak up.

Congratulations on being the first group in Australia to display a Lego layout
at a train show.
Useful input appended below.

We all agreed to meet again in two weeks at Peter's place to go over the
display layout, so we all could know what exactly we were all doing.
The track layout has already been made and is set up at Peter's. The need now
is to:

Our layout is at http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=132458
It's a bad copy though, :( stupid computer time-out, make your own from the
.tdl file if interested.
(note! It has been updated since the last meeting, incorporating room for the
Rosco St. station. Note also some half length straight roads, cutting
baseplates is OK isn't it Richard?)
You said yours was 4x3m (or so...)which is about the same as our proposed one.

I assume that, since the layout is already set up that you've got tables sorted
and you're not covering the entire surface with baseplates?

Peter and Gary have already made a start on this stuff (e.g. Gary's station
MOC), but obviously are looking for the rest of us to flesh it all out.
Basically they want people to look at the layout/zones and take ownership of
chunks of space and supply buildings etc to fit.

This is pretty much where we're at (change Peter and Gary for James and Ross).
You can never have too many buildings!

There are a few constraints. Buildings at the front of the display (which is
either 4x2 metres or 4x3 meters -- some confusion reigned) will have to be
relatively lowset to not block the view, but the ones at the back can be high.
We also had some discussion about the structure of buildings. Should we go
with "closed" structures, and not the back-less style used in a lot of Town
sets (or the modern breezeway style with no walls at all). Or do we need more
open buildings to let light in to see interior detail and to see through them?
This links into the related issue of whether buildings should face the roads
in the natural manner or should they always be build "best side" towards the
front of the display (the only angle the public will get).

My opinion? it doesn't matter, take all styles, mix and match, whatever goes.
If the modelers complain it looks wrong, tell 'em it's LEGO style. The kids
won't complain (in fact the more detail the better).

Oh, in case nobody said, the train show is the Labour Day (May Day) long
weekend 4-6 May at the Brisbane Exhibition grounds. We'll probably have to
come up with a roster to man the display at some point.

Don't underestimate the number of people required here, make sure there's
plenty of volunteers for set up and pack down and chairs to sit on during the
days.

I'll make sure I send up a pair of waggons with the STUDS and Australian LTC
logos on them for you to run!

James (who is still trying to get in contact with someone at LEGO, they've
been overseas!)