 Local / Australia / 8411
Re: Tracking down older Star Wars sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 22:31:13 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Zac Soden writes:
Hi everyone,

I'm currently in a bit of a situation, kicking myself for not having the
money to buy cool sets such as the A-wing, slave1, etc when they were
readily available (and on sale).
No store near me stocks any of these cool sets and I notice that
shop.lego.com has them still for _reasonable_ prices.

Do you think I am best to:
a) Buy the sets I want on a shop@home order immediately
b) wait until some of the sets show up miraculously on sale at Toys R Us or
c) make millions of phone calls etc, trying to track the sets down.

A year ago, I would have thought you crazy to consider option b, but now,
you never know what's going to turn up where... My local KMart now has
Vader/Y wing sets, which they've NEVER had before.

In fact, a year ago, I would have laughed at option a too.... S@H in
Australia? Who would have thought?

This doesn't help with your dilemma much, so:

a) will work, but is expensive (esp if you can't share freight)
b) might work (more likely for very large and very small sets), and if it
does is likely to be quite cheap
c) might work, but is likely to be at RRP or higher.

Your best bet (and likely the cheapest) is to hope that a local AFOL (sorry,
I haven't) has stockpiled a few of the sets you're after and is willing to
pass them on to you at or near cost.

And keep an eye on eBay... recently deleted sets (excepting the 'Falcon
during its brief deletion) can go for around retail as well.

Cheers

Richie Dulin