 Local / Australia / 8216
8215  |  8217
Subject:
Yesterday's fest, and some long bow historical theorising...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.pirates
Date:
Mon, 28 Jan 2002 04:58:17 GMT

Some of the Sydney guys got together yesterday up at Hornsby for the first
2002 fest.  Paul Baulch and Ross Crawford joined us from south of the border
(fantastic work guys).

There was all sorts of wonderful stuff, from train models to technic and
bionicle (which was explained to me are completely different from each other
;-), huge buildings, wet and space ships, island monastaries and hidden
treasure, far to much to list.

Maybe you should come along next time :-)

Nice to see James, Kevin, Pete, Richie (as well as mrs and minor Richie),
Ross and Paul.

Special thanks to Richie for organising, and James for a fun run Piratical
seafaring BrikWars.

Richard
Still baldly going...

For the piratical devotees:

For anyone who ever wondered how John E Doolittle's
(http://www.ozbricks.com/portblock/doo/welcome.htm) Shangrila base
(http://www.ozbricks.com/portblock/doo/do3.htm) came to be lying around for
Doolittle to simply turn up and take up residence, it all became clear on
Sunday.  Up until then, all than had been known was that: "The fortress had
been built by some colonial power or other in another time, and had suffered
the deprivations of nature, but remained most formidable." before Doolittle
and his men took it over.

In amongst the battling of BrikWars, the Pacific island fortified monastery
of the Warrior Monks of St Patbrick (the Knights Patbrick, or Patbricks) was
overrun some some very Spanish looking dudes.

The monastery had been visited by some entirely more polite piratical types
a little earlier, but having no treasure beyond a relic of the true cross,
the pirates had accepted some victuals and gone their way with the blessing
of the Knights.

However the Spanish looking dudes were not nearly so polite.  All three
Knights and two visiting mariners were mercilessly put to the sword in the
Spanish mercenaries headlong search for treasure.

On hearing of the slaughter, and the violation of the Knights long respected
neutrality in the squabbles of the temporal world, all the other treasure
hunting units in the area, lead by the Admiral of the Port Block Squadron,
turned their guns against the fortress, laying waste, and ushering the
mercenary Spanish looking dudes to the infernal regions.

This is one of the events to which historians habitually point to suggest
some sort of link between the Knights Patbrick and Port Block
(http://www.ozbricks.com/portblock/welcome.htm), and then the later Port
Block Yards (http://www.ozbricks.com/portblock/yar/welcome.htm), which
engineering colossus seems to share the Knights Patbrick's surprising
neutrality and freedom, and involvment in the strategic affairs of
governments and large corporations across the known world and now across
known space.

Some even suggest that the mysteriously successful John E Doolittle was
himself a Knight Patbrick, sent from London with the express purpose of
retaking posession of the fortress, and fabulous wealth concealed in her
secret vaults.  Adherents of the theory suggest that the whole piratical
thingie was just an elaborate cover story.

But who listens to tie wearing, pen sucking, hat wearing historians anyway...