 Local / Australia / 4457
Re: Shareholder Discounts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 2001 01:13:49 GMT

Still talking about Coles/Myer (I over zealously edited Ross' post):

I'm fairly sure that eligibility for the shareholder discount was
temporarily suspended for all new investors sometime early last year as it
was costing the company too much money!  I think the cut-off date was then
extended because there was a bit of a stink about it.  I don't believe there
are any plans to reinstate it in the near future, but there was some talk
about reworking the scheme.  Please note: I am not a shareholder but my
In-Laws are and this info came primarily from them, although I have heard
similar info from other sources.

Coles Myer was a standard recommendation as a stock of choice for retiree
investment because of the discounts available at such a wide range of stores
(in addition to a good company performance but I believe that's changed a
bit of late!), and this would seem to have a lot to do with the blow out in
investors (i.e. many shareholders with small holdings).

Deidre
drb@tasmail.com

In lugnet.loc.au, Ross Crawford writes:
Actually I just checked the fine print, and it seems there's some doubt as to
whether shares purchased after Oct 2000 make you eligible for a card. I'll
check into this some more...

ROSCO