 Local / Australia / 3563
3562  |  3564
Subject:
Lego in Brisbane (was: Where are the Falcons)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Sat, 11 Nov 2000 07:24:54 GMT

Is there anywhere in Brisbane that might have some lego?

I visited Myer Queen Street today and was impressed at the range of Lego
available there. There was quite a large wall area devoted to it. There is a
"20% off marked price" sale which lasts until tomorrow.

Star Wars: There were a number of UCS X-Wings and at least one UCS Tie
Interceptor (hidden under an X-Wing), but no Millennium Falcons that I could
see. Most shops seem to have sold out of many of the Star Wars sets but Myer
seemed to have a good selection still, possibly because their regular prices
aren't very competitive!

Technics. There was a Silver Champion and a Power Puller. There were some of
those new race sets. I think I saw one of those new motorised chassis sets
with battery box.

Model Team. Myer Queen Street seems to be about the only place that always
carries a lot of Model Team. Perhaps that means that they can't sell them,
since Model Team appears to be on the way out of Lego catalogues.

Robotics: Robotics Discovery Set (1 copy) but no Robotics Invention System.
A few sets of the Ultimate Accessory Kit, and a couple of Vision Command
systems. There were no Darkside Developer Kits left (there had been about 3
a week or so ago) -- damn it, because that is what I was wanting.

There was lots of other stuff there too, of course. Soccer, Adventurers,
tonnes of Duplo, train tracks and some kind of points control unit, but I'm
afraid I was only noting items of interest to me.

Maddeningly, Myer Queen Street (like Myer Indooroopilly) do not always
bother to mark the prices on the sets or on the shelf. Since they don't have
scanners for customer use, you have to carry the stuff over to the sales
counter and get them scanned just to find out the price. For that reason, I
can't tell you prices for most of the items mentioned.

I also visited the two Toyworlds (Myer Centre and Queen Street). Again,
there was a huge glut of Duplo at both of them (including a red Mickey &
Minnie bucket, which I can't find listed in LUGnet's database -- maybe I
imagined it), but otherwise a somewhat patchy selection. Both stores had
stacks of the 6087 Witch's Magic Manor at the discounted price of $40 (was
$80, labelled something like "Medieval Castle"). This is a ghastly model,
but does have some interesting parts. I like the two huge green bricks used
for a base, the elevator shafts, and various arches.

Toyworld Myer Centre has a discounted Insectoid set: the 6907 Sonic Stinger
with the noise-making light-flashing SPUD for $20 allegedly reduced from $40
(labelled "Lord of the Flies"). Among their other discounted items was the
6829 Radon Rover ($5 allegedly reduced from $10) from the UFO theme. Also
marked as a discount was the 6586 Arctic Polar Scout for $20 (but it was not
clear what the "regular price" was). These sets might also have been at
Toyworld Queen Street too (don't remember).

Toyworld Queen Street had 5978 Sphinx Secret Surprise heavily discounted but
confusingly labelled "Pharaoh's Forbidden Ruins" which is a different set
(5988 also discounted in a number of Toyworld stores (but I didn't see it at
Queen Street). I think the 5978 Sphinx Secret Surprise was $40 -- but I'm
not 100% sure so phone first if it is important to you.

I visited Dick Smith Electronics at Indooroopilly. As always, their Lego
robotics are not kept on display (you ask at the counter) and it turns out
they are out of Darkside Developer Kits, but will order them in from their
warehouse at the current sales catalogue price ($159), so I did. No idea
what else they have or don't have, since nothing is on display. I don't
understand this policy; yes, these are expensive items but they are also
pretty big ones. It would be hard to walk out casually with a DDK shoved
down your undergarments! And many other items with the same price/volume
characteristics are available on the shelf or in glass showcases. Nor do
they even put up a poster or sign to let you know they stock these items;
very strange behaviour it seems to me.

So, based on my recent travels, the places to go in Brisbane for the best
Lego selection are currently:

* Myer Queen Street
* Toys R Us Mt Gravatt

I have not been up to TRU at Aspley for many months. Earlier this year, I
rated it the biggest range of Lego in the northern suburbs, so if anyone has
been there recently, I'd love to hear what it's currently like.

Dick Smith's Electronics on-line shop www.dse.com.au seems to carry all of
the Lego robotics, or your local DSE store may stock them or be willing to
order it in for you. Their prices seems lower than Myers for similar items
(so far as I can tell). I've never purchased through their on-line store so
can't comment on the experience. They also have a number of books on Lego
robotics. I notice they list the Lego Studio Moviemaker Kit; does anyone
have any experience with it?

In the interests of honesty, be aware that I am a shareholder of Coles Myer
(owner of Myer stores) and Woolworths (owner of Dick Smith Electronics).

Off-topic, I notice that Dick Smith Electronics (which is no longer owned by
Dick Smith) has loads of Dick Smith products (Helicopter Jelly, peanut paste
etc) on the shelves. I guess they get a lot of customers coming in wanting a
couple of resistors and a packet of lime jelly, it's such an obvious
combination!

Kerry