 Local / Australia / 2684
Re: Available UCS Tie/ UCS XWing and SWMF
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Tue, 22 Aug 2000 14:33:04 GMT

Kerry Raymond wrote in message ...

I made a few phone calls this morning. The "Mr Toys Toyworld" group in
Brisbane (which includes most but not all Toyworld stores in Brisbane) will
not be stocking the 7181 or 7191 claiming that they are "above their price
point", which apparently is the price at which they will not stock a set • for
fear of not selling it. This probably accounts for why we rarely see big
Lego sets at these stores. They will however order them in at RRP of $259
for the 7181 Tie Interceptor and at $390 for the 7191 X-Wing Fighter.

I find this store attitude towards large sets really baffling, everything I
have seen in the discontinued set market points to the larger sets being
more popular and far, far more desirable. Even in more recent years I have
seen literally mountains of Explorien bases and Deep Sea refuges sitting in
stores, and virtually no Explorien starships[1] or Diving Expedition
explorers (the largest sets of each line). Now if they were that hard to get
rid of I'd expect to see a great deal more of them.

Personally I wasn't aware that toy stores were having poor market
conditions. Although it wasn't clear if he was saying toy sales were bad
generally, or whether he meant that toy stores (as compared with department
stores like KMart, Big W, etc) were doing badly.

Well, I certainly know that a lot of smaller toy stores closed down in
Melbourne in the last couple of years, and it's not hard to see why - their
prices simply can't compete with that of the big chains like TRU and Big W.

Cheers,
Paul
LUGNET member 164
http://www.geocities.com/doctorshnub/

[1] That is, apart from the huge batch of them that got shipped from Asia
and put on sale here recently - and they went reeeal quick.