 Local / Australia / 2669
Re: Available UCS Tie/ UCS XWing and SWMF
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Tue, 22 Aug 2000 00:27:38 GMT

UCS Tie/ UCS XWing and SWMF. there are:
(2) ucs xwing's $259
(1) SWMF $189
(0) ucs tie $189 the ucs tie which i put on layby

I made a few phone calls this morning. The "Mr Toys Toyworld" group in
Brisbane (which includes most but not all Toyworld stores in Brisbane) will
not be stocking the 7181 or 7191 claiming that they are "above their price
point", which apparently is the price at which they will not stock a set for
fear of not selling it. This probably accounts for why we rarely see big
Lego sets at these stores. They will however order them in at RRP of $259
for the 7181 Tie Interceptor and at $390 for the 7191 X-Wing Fighter.

ToysRUs at Aspley claim that these sets are not yet available but should be
available within a month or so. They would not speculate on the price, but
based on usual TRU prices, we can probably assume RRP or thereabouts.

I speculate that we will not see these sets at places like KMart and Target,
which never carry the big sets.

Interestingly, the man at Mr Toys Toyworld mentioned (as part of the
discussion on "price points") that lots of toy stores were currently
reluctant to carry a full range of any brand of toy because of the poor
market conditions. He pointed to store closures of World 4 Kids and Toys R
Us as proof that the philosophy of carrying the widest range of product
didn't always work.

Personally I wasn't aware that toy stores were having poor market
conditions. Although it wasn't clear if he was saying toy sales were bad
generally, or whether he meant that toy stores (as compared with department
stores like KMart, Big W, etc) were doing badly.

--
Kerry Raymond
kerry@dstc.edu.au