 Local / Australia / 2585
Re: More sexism from Lego (Was Re: 2000.2 Catalogue now out :)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.org.au, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 11 Aug 2000 13:02:41 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Deidre Rushton Brumby writes:
In lugnet.loc.au, David Drew writes:
"Deidre Rushton Brumby" <drb@tasmail.com> wrote in message

What? You (Lego) mean that I can't get a Mindstorms set for Christmas
after all?

Okay, I think that this isn't sexist at all. It's just a case of directed
marketing, where the manufacturer pitches the sale towards the largest
demographic.
<snipped>

My problem is that it was the case, and may still be, that girls that
are interested in technology are discouraged.

I snipped a bunch of stuff for brevity, but I just wanted to say that I had a
peek at the catalogue before Deidre even posted yesterday, and I saw the line
about how boys could play with the soccer- err, I mean, football sets, and it
disappointed me.  I mean, I really, really hate to sound like a sensitive, new
age guy, but I expected a lot better from the company that put Gail Storm in
the pilot's seat of the Island Hopper.

eric