 Local / Australia / 1737
Re: Buying Second Hand Lego Cheap!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Wed, 28 Jun 2000 08:15:08 GMT

   Okay, fatigued (and fatigue-inducing, doubtless) ramble time here:

Jamie Obrien wrote:

Hi all, a kind of a strange thing happened, found some Lego someone
wants to sell ($80) BUT i know it's worth a lot lot lot more than
that! There's a heap of old town and space, some castle as well as
some stuff i haven't seen. I'd be willing to pay more for, but i don't
know where to start. I'm not going to rip them off but where do you
start on something like this. Everything's in very good condition, not
used since their kids moved overseas.

Buy the Lego, but the concience will kill?

Honestly, I wouldn't say you're ripping them off.  They've set a value,
and you can accept it (or even offer a bit more if you feel it'll help
salve your conscience).  The reason why I say it's not ripping anyone
off?  Because it's only of greater value because of your position and the
expertise you've developed--even though your Lego knowledge base seems
totally frivolous (it's not), it *is* worth something!  Had you not this
expertise, you'd simply make an $80 buy and that would be it.  It would be
unfair to you to give the seller the benefit of your expertise (unless
they're family or people you owe some other debt of gratitude/kinship to),
because you have spent time and energy developing it whereas they have
not--sometimes, expedient selling like this person is doing means one must
sell for less.  If they'd done the research you have, been in the
community you are, the same information would have been available.  You
spent time investigating your craft and garnering these sorts of contacts,
and in the final analysis I'd say that's worth quite a bit.

Hm, it's late here (04.10) so I'm not sure that made sense.  Did it?  If
not, I can try to explain it again.  But the final prescription is:  Part
with the $80, $120 if you feel so moved, but don't feel badly about
getting great stuff for below eBay market value.  It's your reward, enjoy
it!

best

Lindsay (who only wishes he could find such a great cache of older stuff!)