 Local / Australia / 168
Re: DROID ALERT
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 2000 04:29:54 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Peter White writes:
In lugnet.loc.au, William M. Leue writes:
Oops! Well, of course, I should have looked at your return email address
more carefully! Australian dollars! *blushes*  Sorry, typical Yankee • assumption
that 'dollars' means 'U.S dollars'.  What is the current exchange rate?

-Bill Leue

I went down to my local toy store (Toyworld / Uncle Pete's, Wollongong).
They also had all three droids. The prices were

8000   $43.99
8001   $65.99
8002   $99.99

Looking at the models, and the number of pieces, I don't think that the
cheaper two are worth it. Just not enough parts to justify the cost, and • the
models look very average. However 8002 is an extremely cool model and with
about 600 parts, becomes excellent value. Bought it on the spot.

later,
David Drew.

Hi Bill,
the way to work it out is to multiply the above by 0.6 , with the exchange
rate at the moment just hovering above 60 US cents to the 1 Aussie dollar.
I know, it's still more expensive but that's the story down here. We're
investigating who to blame for taking a bigger cut (I assume govt. taxes),but
Australia is a country that is fond of tarrifs to protect industries that no
longer exist and never will (manufacturing is in decline as well). The sales
and clearances we see in the US on Lugnet don't occur here anything to the
same extent, sales here are of the 10% ,15% maybe 25% variety.
In July a GST(goods and services tax) is being introduced of 10% (admittedly
other wholesale taxes are revoked), but I wouldn't bet money on prices
dropping too much.

It's enough to make me build a Lego wailing-wall(out of Ritvik).
-pete.w.

Actually Bill was about spot on with his factor of 2 comment. That's the basic
factor which seems to apply between US MSRP and Australian RRP prices,
factoring exchange rate, shipping, corporate lunches for LEGO execs, etc.

Pete Callaway