 Local / Australia / 1654
RE: Be careful buying Lego at Harris Scarfe (GST dual pricing)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Sun, 25 Jun 2000 22:27:57 GMT

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter White [mailto:aztekium@optusnet.com.au]
Sent: Monday, June 26, 2000 7:25 AM
To: lugnet.loc.au@lugnet.com
Subject: Re: Be careful buying Lego at Harris Scarfe (GST
dual pricing)

In lugnet.loc.au, Deidre Rushton Brumby writes:
Hi all,

A warning to anyone buying Lego from Harris Scarfe.  In the • Hobart stores
some of the Lego have dual price tags showing the current • and post GST
price.  On some sets the price goes UP with the GST whereas • I'm almost
100% certain all Lego should go down (currently has 22% wholesale tax
which gets replaced with 10% GST on retail price).  Mosts sets did go
down. (Out of interest a ~$45 set seems to drop around $3)

I don't want to appear a rule book waver, but this is totally illegal.
Legislation was especially passed (to cloud the price changes) so that
retailers could not have dual price tickets. Call in the hounds !

Oops...Someone hasn't been keeping up with the news...From June 1 retailers
were allowed to use dual pricing. It was only if dual pricing was
implemented before this date that it was a no-no.

I took the increased price sets up to the counter in the Hobart City
store but the sales droid obviously didn't have a clue what I was
talking about, I suspect he put them straight back on the shelf after
I left.  Must go and check next week.

Is anyone aware of any reason for some Lego to INCREASE in • price or is
this a case for the ACCC?  Maybe it was an innocent mistake • to start with
(got the tags the wrong way around?) but if they don't try to fix it
then surely that's profiteering from the GST.

Any chance of getting the two prices [before and after] and set number?

With larger sets some stores don't have a proportional
margin. So while
smaller sets may have a 40% margin, larger sets may only have
20-30%, since
once you get over $100 RRP the potential buyer pool gets
smaller. This may
be the reason for some up, some down.
Get them anyway for the dual price tags !

Nope...The stores all paid 22% WST. This means that NO lego set is to go up
in price [neither is any other toy/sporting item] Maybe we need to do a
crackdown on overpricing stores next month :)
If the prices aren't about 8-12% lower with GST, then the store is
definitely profiteering. I think the ACCC should be set on this store.

pete.w <aquanaut@optusnet.com.au>

Benjamin Whytcross
BWhytcro@PacificAccess.com.au
Ph: (03) 9856 5282
Directory Technology Pty Ltd
1/436 Elgar Road,
Box Hill, 3128

Growing older is compulsory..Growing up isn't :-)