 Local / Australia / 1665
Re: Be careful buying Lego at Harris Scarfe (GST dual pricing)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Mon, 26 Jun 2000 03:21:52 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Benjamin Whytcross writes:
Any chance of getting the two prices [before and after] and set number?

I'll try and get back this week to check on this, if they haven't
fixed things I'll note sets and prices.

and Pete W said:
With larger sets some stores don't have a proportional
margin. So while
smaller sets may have a 40% margin, larger sets may only have
20-30%, since
once you get over $100 RRP the potential buyer pool gets
smaller. This may
be the reason for some up, some down.

and Benjamin replied:
Nope...The stores all paid 22% WST. This means that NO lego set is to go up
in price [neither is any other toy/sporting item] Maybe we need to do a
crackdown on overpricing stores next month :)
If the prices aren't about 8-12% lower with GST, then the store is
definitely profiteering. I think the ACCC should be set on this store.

I was wondering if it was possible for profit margin variations to affect
things but was pretty sure it should be down across the board.  It is
hard to tell, not all sets were dual tagged, the ones that were are mostly
in the $40-$50 price bracket and some go up and some go down.  Presumably
they'll complete the dual tagging this week which will give me more data
to work with.  I just didn't want to jump up and down to the ACCC and
make a fool of myself if these variations were in fact legitimate, but I
still think they're ripping us off.

Deidre
drb@tasmail.com