 Local / Australia / 1653
Re: Be careful buying Lego at Harris Scarfe (GST dual pricing)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Sun, 25 Jun 2000 21:24:39 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Deidre Rushton Brumby writes:
Hi all,

A warning to anyone buying Lego from Harris Scarfe.  In the Hobart stores
some of the Lego have dual price tags showing the current and post GST
price.  On some sets the price goes UP with the GST whereas I'm almost
100% certain all Lego should go down (currently has 22% wholesale tax
which gets replaced with 10% GST on retail price).  Mosts sets did go
down. (Out of interest a ~$45 set seems to drop around $3)

I don't want to appear a rule book waver, but this is totally illegal.
Legislation was especially passed (to cloud the price changes) so that
retailers could not have dual price tickets. Call in the hounds !

I took the increased price sets up to the counter in the Hobart City
store but the sales droid obviously didn't have a clue what I was
talking about, I suspect he put them straight back on the shelf after
I left.  Must go and check next week.

Is anyone aware of any reason for some Lego to INCREASE in price or is
this a case for the ACCC?  Maybe it was an innocent mistake to start with
(got the tags the wrong way around?) but if they don't try to fix it
then surely that's profiteering from the GST.

With larger sets some stores don't have a proportional margin. So while
smaller sets may have a 40% margin, larger sets may only have 20-30%, since
once you get over $100 RRP the potential buyer pool gets smaller. This may
be the reason for some up, some down.
Get them anyway for the dual price tags !

pete.w <aquanaut@optusnet.com.au>