 Local / Australia / 14351
Re: Lugnet - the talk-back radio of the world of Lego?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Fri, 15 Feb 2008 04:57:15 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Kerry Raymond wrote:
It would be very interesting to know if these insights into gaming forums
were equally applicable to the LUGnet community.

Of course some of these thoughts have been canvassed (more humourously
before):

http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=43860

http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=48423

Kerry

At one time Lego was messing up.  They were losing money and for a private
company, that is bad even if only for a couple of years.  They tried to get back
into the swing of things with Galidor and Bionicle.  Bionicle was a hit and
probably saved the company.  Galidor was a mess and when I went to Legoland they
were giving away Galidor with every purchase.  This lasted for more than a year.
I even heard people telling them to kept the freebie.
     It would be interesting to see what research went into Galidor and
Bionicle.  One a mistake, the other saving the company.
It also would be interesting to figure out why they sold the parks and kept only
a small interest in them.  At one time they were the pride of the Lego company.
     At some point Lego must now be taking the adult fans into consideration
with the 500 dollars star wars set and several at 200 dollars.  I also think
they brought out the Factory series for the adult.  Somewhere along the line
they felt that the adults were a good target.  The complaints about the changing
of colors was, in my opinion, valid.  To have a huge number of grey bricks and
then all of a sudden it changed did hurt building large things.  I made the
mistake of combining the 2 grays and now I still have a hard time telling them
apart until something is built.  It is not as hard with the brown and dark gray.
They said that they changed them because study groups of children preferded the
new colors.  Can't say that I believe them on that one. Did they ask "Which do
you like better the old ugly gray, or the beautiful new gray?  If they actually
did a study it shows that they do use study groups.  (Hey kids how do you like
these great Galidor figures?)
     They have not had a successful study group to figure out what girls want,
though they keep trying.  Belville is not a huge success nor is Scala.  I have a
feeling a lot of collectors buy these sets because they seem to go up in value
very quickly or they have very unusual colors and parts.
John P