 Local / Australia / 13846
Re: "Recon" to Toowoomba for next show BLTG
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Sun, 28 May 2006 00:01:46 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Pete White wrote:
In lugnet.loc.au, Peter Parsons wrote:

Good to see the Sydney guys getting into it I hope the Sydney Train Show is a
huge success for you guys to kick start your group.

.

Thanks Peter !
Things are looking promising down here, just a matter of bringing it all
together. We're slowly building numbers, we should have a good membership within
a year. Maybe we can 'churn' some model railroaders to LEGO trains at the show.

Pete
Remember that membership is not the "be all to end all" the quality of your
layout is exential for attracting good crowds to your table. Forget about trying
to "Churn" as you say the tradionalists into Lego just try and look good so they
will eventually accept you as "modellers". I think I can speak here from
experience as at our first show in 2000 we were treated as "leppers" and that is
a sad fact they do not see Lego as moddeling they see it as a toy. So please
don't get carried away with trying to convert them but nurture them to beleiving
that you are a worthy display and that you attract the crowds. In Brisbane it
has taken us 6 years but we are now their draw card for the public and they have
told us this allthough we can see it with the crowd that gathers at our table
over the 3 days. Please don't take these comments too harshly I just don't want
to see you guys shattered after your first show because the normal "Train Heads"
don't really want to accept you.
I'm going to do some cold calling on ebay, so if any readers are caught in my
'net' (:^D)

I am sorry I don't get your meaning hear perhaps I am just a bit thick??

So good luck with Toowoomba, you guys must have your setting up 'down pat'.
Interesting to see what reaction the Duplo layout brings.

Set up is something that takes practice and you get better as you go along. It
still takes about 6 to 8 hrs to set up the 5 modules (not counting the loading
time) but Toowoomba is our 3rd time with the current layout and the time line I
would like to see is. We will arrive at the venue about 6PM on Friday night
(accomodation has allready been booked one less task) we should have all the
basic tables up within the first hour and then it is individual structures on.
during this stage Gary will connect up all the power underneath (not as big a
task this time as it is all colour coded) lights will be strung and we would
hope for a test run by 10pm. Final tweeking for another hour (less to do on
Saturday morning) and then drive back up the road a couple of K's to our motel
rooms should be ready for the sack about 12PM.
Ambitious I know but it is workable.

As for the Duplo my son Ben had a table at the Brisbane show at the end of ours
(when some pics are available you will see it) it was his own idea and he asked
the group if he could and it was a roaring success but we keep it low on
tressles for all the little ones. So he is aiming for a good show with this one
as well.
Good luck to you guys as well
Please feel free to send me an Email and we can swap ideas no need to feel alone
out ther whaen there are other groups who have made the hard yards and can share
good ideas with you.

Cheers
Peter P
#348 BLTG