 Local / Australia / 13413
Re: Mid Year Toy Sales.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Thu, 7 Jul 2005 15:13:20 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Matthew Jeffery wrote:

   Ok, now I feel really bad replying to my own post... I was in a very bad mood just before, and you guys are having fun. don’t let my bad mood spoil your LEGO fun :). What I said does stand, however. if you, as AFOLS, buy all the cheap LEGO sets that are worth anything, then people can’t buy decent sets for their kids and so an entire generation misses out due to the selfishness of some. ok, granted, if you have $750 to spend on lego (just for trucks mind you, I’m not counting the car in that.) then you should damn well enjoy it! just... be a little more reasonable with the amounts you take, eh? I like LEGO too!!! ;)

-Matt

Hi Matt,

I don’t know what Brad gets up to, but whether it’s Ebay, partsies, or just avid model building I can’t say that the “Brads” of the world have caused any difficulty in getting Lego sets for my kids. I often find that it’s the sets that go out on clearance that do so because the parents and/or kids don’t want them in the first place, and still don’t want them discounted. I did end up at Kmart tonight with my family, there were 4 trucks left which is probably all they ever had in the first place, we didn’t buy any of them - I even asked my almost 10 year old boy if he wanted one and he said ‘it’s alright, but not really’.

As for me, I’ve honestly bought 4 Lego sets this entire year, 1 for me, 3 for the kids, no duplicates, 2 of those 4 were at full price.

Even in the past when I bought a lot of Lego the most I ever bought in one hit was two of one item and that would have been one for me and one for my boy. Disregarding things like train track, I’ve got a fair amount of triplicates in my collection (1 for me, 1 for each of 2 kids) but those have always been bought on separate occassions, probably months apart, and most likely only at 20% off not steep clearance.

You can rest assured that the mothers (and sometimes fathers) of Australia are following the sales just as avidly as the Lego nuts, check out any parenting forum if you are brave, nothing gets past them either, it just doesn’t tend to be Lego that gets them going for the most part.

The reason you want to avoid Christmas toy sales is because of the feral mums, not the feral AFOLs, you wouldn’t believe what some of them are like, and as I am a mother I can say things like that honestly and with impunity LOL :)

So get your combat gear on and get out there ;)

Deidre

p.s. I hear Big W will have a better sale at the time of the Target sale in a couple of weeks