 Local / Australia / 12117
Re: SYDNEY MEET
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Fri, 14 May 2004 08:51:18 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Richard Parsons wrote:

It would be typical of Lego’s disregard for Australian fans if they neglected to incite the same sense of betrayal, disregard and conspiracy in Australia as they have in North America and Europe.

Isn’t it though? It seems to me that Lego can produce whatever it likes, and I’ll either buy it or not. These extra colours just seem like more flexibility to detail models.

Objectively I would agree. Subjectively, I feel it to be far outweighed by the downsides - that it becomes more and more expensive to increase my existing inventory of parts in an old colour, and the opportunity to complement my inventory of an old colour with new elements in that colour is now gone. Yes, I can make a patchwork grey spaceship, but to have no alternative sucks, frankly. Anyway, I’m sure the arguments we both mention are well-trodden...

And I do believe that Lego would not have tooled up for the change had there not been some business sense behind it.

I don’t feel that that’s relevant, as I think that we AFOLs are still insignificant with regards to their business strategy - but it could well be that I’m unnecessarily pessimistic. In any case, as a heavily-invested modeller with too much Lego I consider it the perfect reason to stop buying any more new Lego sets. :-)

Cheers,