 Local / Australia / 1122
Re: Importing LEGO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Fri, 9 Jun 2000 07:11:06 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Peter White writes:

What about 'used' or 'second-hand' Lego (another kettle of.....)

Customs have told me they use whatever is on the 'customs declaration' label
attached to all international packages, with reference to the description. If
things look funny (i.e. the description says "toys", the box is as big as a bar
fridge (chock full o' Lego), but the declared value is $149.99, they'll open
the package and make a value determination based on "market value").

But, if you're reasonable they don't sock it to you. I specifically inquired
about relatives/friends sending potentially expensive packages - they responded
that officially the duty is still due, but it was strongly hinted to me that
they generally don't bother about presents from Grandma (*within reason*).

Basically, it seems to be very much a judgement call of the customs officer.

My wife being from New York, we recieve a fair amount of birthday presents,
etc, from the US and so far we've not been hit with duty. Though we have been
bitten when ordering direct from a US company (who'd have thought clothing was
in the highest duty bracket?!), and with "prohibited goods" (a pine air
freshener thingy from Maine - all we got was the packaging and a terse note
regarding the relevant Act).

A lot of volume can be saved if you discard boxes and superfluous things too.

Not really, at least with the US post office. They go by weight only, up to a
size limit at which point they use a "nominal weight" for large packages. You
can check the expected USPS costs via their web site (www.usps.gov, of course).

I found that for my two Dacta sets (i.e. relatively "dense" as far as most Lego
packaging goes), discarding the packaging would have made no difference.

Regards,

Ben