 Local / Australia / 1118
Re: Importing LEGO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Fri, 9 Jun 2000 00:29:08 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Benjamin Whytcross writes:
purchases...Apparently Customs don't charge import duties when the total for
duties and taxes is less than $50. The examples they gave were:

Well, this is not wholly correct. Customs assess duty on everything, but they
do not bother to collect if the duty is less than $50. Yes, I know it's almost
the same thing but I was told by Customs that this policy is at the discretion
of Customs - that is if they think you're abusing the system they can simply
"bother" to collect from you :-)

The duty rate for toys (Lego) is/was 33% (may be an even 30%, I can't exactly
recall), so the most you can get away with is $A151 (duty =~ $49). If the duty
is $50.00 or more they will collect duty on the total amount, and you'll be up
for an expensive bill.

Also, it's unclear as to how they determine assessable value. I presume they
just exchange the declared value to $A on the day goods are processed, which
means that you'll be subject to fluctations in exchange rate. What you bought
for $US90 == $A150 two weeks ago may be valued more (or less) than that now.

I've bought Dacta from Glenn Tanenbaum (highly recommended: he went to great
lengths to help me: http://www.geocities.com/RodeoDrive/Mall/1994/), I almost
got bitten by assuming Lego would be in the 20% bracket. I ended up having to
ask Glenn to split my order into two packages, each worth less then $A150. But
then, of course, postage killed me (seamail even). Still, I ended up paying
quite a bit less than 'Educational Experience' (Aust. Dacta distributor) quoted
me for the same kits (why is that I can purchase "at retail" in the US and pay
"retail" shipping from overseas for less than these local distributors, who buy
wholesale and ship in bulk??).

However, I believe there may be a light on the horizon: GST. The basic premise
of customs duty is to collect taxes as would be done for locally bought goods
(plus any trade protection levies, but I don't believe these apply to Lego :-).
Now that the local tax rate will effectivey fall from 20/30% to 10%, I can't
see why the customs rate won't also fall. If so, the $50 limit will equate to a
much higher goods value.

I've been meaning to ring Customs and ask about this...

Regards,

Ben