 Local / Australia / 1117
Re: Australian Millenium Falcon Release Date and $$$ = IMPORTING necessity
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Thu, 8 Jun 2000 16:28:06 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Benjamin Whytcross writes:
Not wishing to seem like I appreciate the high costs...I think the reason
that lego is much cheaper in the US than any othey country is...wait for
it...They produce it there. This means no import duties, low transport
costs, etc. Unfortunately, unless TLG decide to push up the US cost for sets
and parts to help subsidise the rest of the world and therefore make the
prices equivalent [give each set a $US value, and then translate that into
the prices for each country, based on the $US standing against that country
at the start of the year] We'll be stuck with the highest prices. After all,
it has to travel much further to get to us...and then on arrival, the good
stuff gets hi-jacked by NZ :(

Actually, LEGO is produced all over. Denmark, Switzerland, and the US.
Different pieces are built at different factories. If I am not mistaken,
Switzerland deals especially with TECHNIC, the US with SYSTEM and MINDSTORMS,
and Denmark with all of them. The elements made in Europe are then sent to the
US for final packaging, or visa-versa. The US has always been a cheap market.
A Land Rover Discovery, built in the UK, cost about $34,000 even in the United
States, it cost about $45,000 in the UK and the American model has more
equipment, including a bigger engine. Now, I do know that the UK, with the
poor pound value, is a bad comparison, but how about a Mitsubishi
Diamante/Magna? Built in Australia, the US price is about $22,500. I'm not
sure how much it cost in Aussie, but I don't think it's much less than that.
Even a Mercedes-Benz Sprinter van or Volvo 70-Series is cheaper in America
then thier respective countries of orgin, Spain and Belgium.