 Local / Australia / 11086
Re: Bricksmeat 2003 - or how not to transport large MOCs!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 11 Jun 2003 05:26:49 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Frank Filz wrote:
Kerry Raymond wrote:

Herewith the results of my MOC transportation experiment from last weekend:

Step 1. Obtain a large box (intended for transporting large TV) and bubble
wrap products from professional movers.
Step 2. Insert MOCs.
Step 3. Air-freight the box (externally pre-printed "TV", "This way up",
"Fragile")
Step 4. Open the box.
Step 5. Remove the MOCs.

The results can be viewed at:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ABStralia/disasters/disaster1.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ABStralia/disasters/disaster2.jpg

I guess the good news is I would have been even more unhappy if I had been
transporting a TV!

It's hard to tell for sure of course, but looking at those MOCs I'm not
too surprised they took a lot of damage. I have successefully
transported MOCs in my checked baggage but they have all really been
very strong MOCs. My wharf section for the BrickFest modular castle town
(unfortunately I don't have a real handy set of pictures - but here's
one picture:
http://www.pnltc.org/Gal_PDX_Conven_03/gallery.html?Coast-City2 [note
for those who have seen this before, I re-arranged it for the train
layout]) has travelled twice by air (to BrickFest and to BricksWest).
Each building breaks down into separate modules for each floor (and
roof). For the inn which is large, the floors above the "basement" level
split into two pices (plus the stable and it's roof are separate
pieces). I have only had minor damage. There are several basic problems
that can affect a model:

Torque: The larger a model, the more susceptible it is to twisting
motion that will start to separate bricks. I suspect this is most of
what happened to Thomas Avery's crane. My large pirate ships have
suffered some of this damage (I have flown my Red Seas Barracuda to
BricksWest and I did have to tighten up the hull, the masts had been
taken down for transport [which would have resulted in shear damage]).
This is best addressed by making large models modular. Also, the better
they "float" in the packaging, the less torque will be applied.

Shear: A large model without a lot of contact between layers can just
shear off. This is what appears to have happened to Kerry's models. This
is best addressed by having each large layer a separate piece. Internal
padding may also help some, but the layers will probably still slide
off, the internal padding may just minimize the destruction to the
walls.

Greeble loss: Things that stick out or aren't well attached will fall
off. This damage is usually minor. This is the extent of damage most of
my models have taken. On some models like my water tower, all the
greebles are packed separately.

Implosion: A box that is not very strong can implode (the results look
very similar to shear but may not be the same, this is what happens when
you press on the sides of the box, shear happens when you shove the
cover of the box off [and it takes the walls or columns supporting it
along for the ride]). My train cars (especially the cars from 7740 and
my 7740 themed club cars) have suffered this failure in transport. It's
pretty quick to rebuild usually.

Frank

Hi Kerry,
I cannot agree enough with fellow PNLTCer Frank Filz.  I was just referred to
this post by another NWer (SEALUGer) Mark Neumann, who encouraged me to reply...

I've shipped hundreds of MOCs across the US by all means possible -- mail,
crating, cars, planes, and with site handling by AFOL and non-educated
(non-discerning) hands.  I've also been praised for my shipping techniques with
very rare and fragile artglass. My comments:

1.  Sectionalize or the model will break.
2.  Add additonal braces for U-shaped MOCs and appendages that cannot be
removed.
3.  Add stacks of bricks to serve as crush bulkheads.
4.  DO NOT USE BUBBLE WRAP OR FOAM PEANUTS!!!  Instead use plastic
supermarket/grocery store bags which provide just the right amount of cushion.
Cleaners (garment) bags might also work but NOT heavy trash bags unless your MOC
is very sturdy.
5.  My practice is MOCs inside clear bags using opaque bags as cushion -- so no
parts or MOCs get lost/forgotten in "no-see-em' bags.
6.  Boxes must be sturdy and adequately sized to not stress MOCs.
**the above applies for basic storage and hand/vehicle carry**
**the following is shipping/third-party transit**
7.  double-box with either bubble wrap, peanuts, or newsprint.  Or, place the
above box(es) in a crate lined with bubble wrap or foam rubber pads.
8.  Forget about any type of fragile tags as boxes will be dropped and crates
will be walked on or punctured by forklift blades.

The end rule is one's packing should protect the MOC from a 2-3 foot drop.  This
has worked for me sending 3 loads to LEGOLAND California (including my unglued
10-foot, 16,000-pc Statue of Liberty for BW2003) as well as returning many
ambassador traincars and MOCs to the owner.

Play well --- but pack even better!

dan parker
Pacific NW LEGO Train Club
Seattle LEGO Users Group